CoinPeople.com

Upcoming New £20 note

Johnny 1989

Apologies if this has be discussed before, I know that technically this is a coin forum but seeing as this is currencey related I thought I was post this here

According to Wikipedia a new £20 note is due out next year:

On 29 October 2006 the Governor of the Bank of England announced that, to herald the launch of the new Series F banknotes from Spring 2007, a new £20 was to be issued featuring the Scottish economist, Adam Smith.

Surely this is a bit early seeing as the current one only came out in 1999, although I suppose seeing that this is the most forged note in the UK perhaps they have too many fakes in circulation & want a clean start to do away with them all?

Be interesting to see if it's a radical departure from the current set & if they update the Queen's portrait to a more accurate representation.

Oddly enough the £50 note hasn't had an update & is currently the oldest note in circulation, perhaps they are planning to do away with it?

EDIT: Just found this image on the Bank of England website:

governor_bailey.jpg

Can't see it too well but it IS a radical change, cant see the Queen's head though, seems to have gone back the the Newton/Wellington/Nightingale/Shakespear/Wren designs

FURTHER EDIT: From BBC's website

1.jpg

Archived