CoinPeople.com

1750 denga (recent acquisition)

bobh

Definitely a problem coin since it was cleaned and apparently coated with lacquer:

My 1750 denga

It was going cheap on eBay, and I was the only bidder ... but considering that Brekke has marked it "scarce", this doesn't necessarily give me reason for joy! I don't mind the problems, but it would be nice to know if it is genuine or maybe some well-known fake.

Thanks for looking! :ninja:

Looks authentic to me, just well corroded, badly cleaned. Don't think those are rare regardless of variety (number of feathers in eagle's wings).

There are at list several pieces of 1750 Dengas from different sellers in Russia available for immediate sale (price ranges from just $1 to $20+):

http://search.molotok.ru/molotok?q=1750&am...ry_id3&lv=3

WCO

Definitely a problem coin since it was cleaned and apparently coated with lacquer:

My 1750 denga

It was going cheap on eBay, and I was the only bidder ... but considering that Brekke has marked it "scarce", this doesn't necessarily give me reason for joy! I don't mind the problems, but it would be nice to know if it is genuine or maybe some well-known fake.

Thanks for looking! :ninja:

It's fine. Just a common 1750. It's fine.

It's fine. Just a common 1750. It's fine.

Thanks, Steve and WCO. ;) I almost didn't ask about this one considering how little I paid for it. Obviously, all the eBay offers for plate money, beard tokens and pattern coins must be viewed with great suspicion WRT authenticity. I guess I am a little over-suspicious sometimes. But, after all, Brekke did mark this one as scarce (for whatever reason... :ninja: )

In general, how accurate are the rarity ratings given by Brekke?

all the eBay offers for plate money, beard tokens and pattern coins must be viewed with great suspicion

..agreed. But the common coins, lets just enjoy them ;)

Brekke is certainly better than Uzdenikov for 'practical' rarity, but by now is a little dated. In my studies that compare published and practical rarity I find the prices in the little Conros handbooks to be the best measure of scarcity. Brekke is OK. Uzdenikov copper rarity tables are, as far as I can tell, just reproductions of the Ilyin & Tolstoi rarity tables compiled 100 years ago and often do not reflect what collectors encounter today.

The only real scarce date in the Anna/Elizabeth(to 1754) Denga series is the 1752. That is hard to find but I would be surprised if anybody _ever_ wanted to fake it. There just aren't enough people interested.

Leaf and berry counters can get all excited about rare varieties, so they may have a different take on rarity in this series...but counting leaves and berries isn't my thing, so we'll let them answer :ninja:

Steve

Brekke is certainly better than Uzdenikov for 'practical' rarity, but by now is a little dated. In my studies that compare published and practical rarity I find the prices in the little Conros handbooks to be the best measure of scarcity. Brekke is OK. Uzdenikov copper rarity tables are, as far as I can tell, just reproductions of the Ilyin & Tolstoi rarity tables compiled 100 years ago and often do not reflect what collectors encounter today.
Thank you very much, Steve -- this is invaluable information to know! :ninja:

Archived