CoinPeople.com

Modern Russian mint sets

gxseries

During the Soviet times, USSR mints used to mint uncirculated coins yearly sets in hard plastics and soft sheets. Commemorative coins were then minted and most of them are supposely packed in soft plastic sheets or even better, in hard plastic cases.

Perhaps during the critical time in 1980, when Moscow and Leningrad mints were busy minting and packing coins for USSR and the rest of the world, the plan fell down completely due to lack of demand and perhaps that is when they realized packing coins were too expensive. Ever since then precious metal commemorative coins are getting difficult to find in their original packaging and / or certificates.

Here is an example that I have that is minted and packed during the modern Russian times.

901738.jpg

Mintage of each coin is appearently 25,000 and there are only 5,000 folders according to the data given, which gives it around 20% of them being packed in this manner.

I have seen some other sort of packaging too for the commemorative bimetal city rubles too at times, but they seem to be unusually difficult to obtain, other than the typical 1995 Navy, WWII anniversary, 1997 Moscow and St. Petersburg mint set (but they are somewhat difficult to obtain as well)

Can someone in Russia confirm the "rareness" as well as the difficulty of these packed mint sets? Personally I could have got raw coins much cheaper but I like the way the mints try to present these sets.

Archived