CoinPeople.com

90 percent off cent lincoln cent ?????????

darrell

what can yall tell me about this please help http://profiles.yahoo.com/mstrgames69

Sounds from your title that you know what it is. I have been collecting memorial cent "off centers" for several years. Here are some summary opinion points.

Dated off-centers bring a higher premium than non-dated. The best dated ones also include the mintmark or mintmark area, so you have an unequivocal ID (noted that certain coins, e.g. State Quarters can be dated without the dates being present).

Contrary to what might be intuitive, the greater the degree of offset does *not* translate directly into a higher premium. That is, a 50-60% offset is usually more desireable than a 90%. A possible exception is when the only struck area includes the date.

It's probably best to refer to these as off-centered broadstrikes as long as some design features are missing. I have seen and own some slightly off-centered errors that result from some kind of collar problem but are not quite the same thing.

As far as premiums...a quick check of online auctions and coin shops will give you some estimates. The coin you pictured, in my opinion, could be purchased for $5-$10 US.

Certain dates of memorial cents command a very large premium (try finding a 1969-P or a 60% OC 2005, for example) while others are plentiful (1999-2000 particularly).

They are great errors that I have always liked - the cheap ones make great inexpensive gifts.

$5-$10 is about right. Most of the ones without a date fall into that range unless they are obviously older (like wheat cents), those bring more.

Now if it had a date that's a different story. I see dated ones going for $15 at times, even more!

Now if it had a date that's a different story. I see dated ones going for $15 at times, even more!

It is not uncommon for dated off-center cents to sell for much more than $15 dollars - even memorial cents sell for $30-$50 regularly. It is not uncommon for earlier date lincolns to sell for hundreds.

Mint Error News has tracked ebay sales of off center coins and regularly posts prices. You can find those lists online.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Certain dates of memorial cents command a very large premium (try finding a 1969-P or a 60% OC 2005, for example) while others are plentiful (1999-2000 particularly).

Just to underscore my point: Two off-center memorial cents that I needed came up on the bay. Both pretty nice examples and offered by a very well known error dealer.

Guess what they went for...well I will tell you -

A 1962 went for $190

A 1959 went for $275

At the current level of demand, I don't think I will ever finish my memorial cent OC date set. Further, I haven't even seen any OC for the most recent dates and have settled for minor collar problems.

*sigh*

Archived