CoinPeople.com

Russian Prussia catalogs

Timofei

Hi, everybody!

Does anybody know any title or authors of (probably German) catalogs or references regarding Russo-Prussian coinage? Main die varietes are included in Diakov and Bitkin; but it is not enough.

Thanks.

Hi Timofei...not my area at all. What dates/types are we talking about here? Apologies for the very basic question.

At the present time most of the auction houses out there use Uzdenikov, Bitkin and Diakov as a reference for East Prussian coins of Elizabeth, even in Germany. Severin was polular in the past as well. But that is if the coin is presented in the Russian section of the catalog. Many auction houses place East Prussian coins of Elizabeth in the Prussian section of the catalog, and in this case I have seen references to Olding. For example: Uzd 4892 = Olding 452b. I have never seen the book and can not tell you anything about it. Here is the description:

OLDING M., DIE MÜNZEN FRIEDRICHS DES GROSSEN. Katalog des Preussischen Münzen von 1740 - 1786. Berlin 1987.

If you find this book or some other book on the subject, please share the information with us.

BTW - Respect! :ninja:

OLDING M., DIE MÜNZEN FRIEDRICHS DES GROSSEN. Katalog des Preussischen Münzen von 1740 - 1786. Berlin 1987.

Thank you very much, Igor! I will try to find this book and if I am successfull I will definitely share information. The reason for my looking is that Bitkin and Diakov indicated a lot of varieties, but I came across with Russo-Prussian coins that have eagle designs quite different from all images in those catalogs.

I came across with Russo-Prussian coins that have eagle designs quite different from all images in those catalogs.

Please post pictures of them.

Elizabeth Petrovna had Frederick the Great of Prussia on the ropes at the time of her death in 1761. Her successor, Peter III, was an admirer of all things Prussian and almost immediately made a peace with Frederick that was not in Russia's interest. This decision contributed to his unpopularity in the Imperial Court which greased the skids for his overthrow by Catherine II.

Peter III's admiration for Prussia can be seen in the 10-4-2-1-½ kopecks coins he issued as part of his copper overstriking program. Compare the cannon/bugles/flags/drums design to the reverse design of Frederick's silver reichsthalers.

For example 1761:

The coin on the left I think is Bitkin #721, but I am clueless about the coin on the right. Please express your opinion about both coins.

I asked a friend of mine, who specializes in East Prussia to take a look at these coins. Let's wait and see.

I can not help much, except that here are two coins I had in my collection from the same year.

For example 1761:

The coin on the left I think is Bitkin #721, but I am clueless about the coin on the right. Please express your opinion about both coins.

My friend checked out your coins. Here is what he said in an email to me:

"... it seems like D-746,-749,-752 i t.d. are very similar (almost identical)."

What is it you can not match in Diakov?

Archived