CoinPeople.com

Where to begin research on Gold Coins

Fjord

I've received some good pointers on interesting gold coinage in an earlier thread.

The ancients intrigue me, as do the commonly collected U.S. gold coins of the late 19th and early 20th centuries along with the Mexican and European gold coins of the 19th and 20th centuries.

But where do I start my education? I own a copy of Breen's encyclopedia which will help with the U.S. issues; but where to research the Mexican and European coins? A search of the ANA's library turned up titles, but I can't tell how useful they'll be.

thanks for your help.

If by research you mean see pictures of all the coins and a swag at values than the Friedberg Catalog, Gold Coins of the World, would be a very good bet. If you mean to get deeper than that then each sub-genre will likely have a few recommended titles.

Other than a catalog style book like Friedberg there is no single book for what you want, even for just a single country. It really requires a library to research gold coinage. But you've got to start someplace. So I suggest that you decide on 1, 2 or 3 countries and go from there. Once the countries are picked I can recommend some books to you.

I realize I wasn't clear enough. I'm not imagining that one volume will contain all of the information I'll need. I'm expecting several books (or as someone said, a whole library) to explore these subjects.

I'll look into Friedberg catalog, thanks for the pointer.

Archived