CoinPeople.com

Barber Dime series

thedeadpoint

I'm starting on the Barber dime series with coins at least XF. However, I cannot find a coin at all the places I have checked (online, in shops, at a convention) that is XF or higher (and not way expensive).

Another member has noted that XF-AU Barber dimes have become noteworthy for their scarcity. That seems to be the case. I can find the dimes in more circulated grades and in higher grades but none in these middle grades.

I'm curious to know if this is the same experience for anyone else out there trying this series.

Let me know what you think,

thedeadpoint.

I don't follow the dimes much, but I do keep an eye out for decent VF-XF barber quarters & halves, and the same is true there. Very hard to find quality stuff and when you do your gunna pay up for it.

The common dates shouldn't hurt too much, but any semi-key/key are going to cost you--IF-- the coin is original, problem-free and attractive. Expect to lose to snipers on ebay at first; that is a good sign you are after the right coins.

But once you hook your first one and pay the man for that XF two-toner, ... you're totally addicted after that-- hopeless junkie.

Expect long periods of waiting after the common dates.

The Barber series will definitely teach one patience.

But when finished (ha!) you have done something worthwhile.

Archived