CoinPeople.com

Is it genuine?

Hussulo

At first look, it does seem like a genuine but I doubt it after looking up in my reference book. It seems to be a novodel, i.e. restrike, but often there are too many restrike-fake coins out in the market. Probably a well made counterfeit coin, but the legend locations seem to be unusually off for some reason.

If it IS supposely genuine, and depending on the edge type, such coins should command over 300+usd easily, thanks to the ridicious market.

Thanks qxseries I have been watching it on ebay with a mind to bid but there is still 3 days to go and it might sell for a lot more. I was looking through some of my coins recently and came accross 1 x 20 kopeck 3 x 15 kopeck and 1 x 5 rouble coin I'v got. I fancy expanding my Russian collection but they are so expensive now, and I don't want my British coin collection to suffer. I will be tempted if I see any nice ones at a reasonable price. I hope you don't mind asking for advice on Russian coins its just I have no books or references on them.

Ah, so you got the bug too :ninja: Nice gold 5 ruble coin there :lol:

Unfortunately prices of Russian coins have risen to some ridicious prices, mainly driven by Russian buyers. And such, I have resorted to buying jewellery damaged coins, and I am glad that I did so.

I would recommand you to stay off from the earlier era coins, especially when it comes to Peter I's silver coinages up to the early 1800s, as there are plenty of counterfeits out there. It is essential that you should learn what you are getting, or else you will get hit hard. :cry:

Grivna, the reason why I backed off is simply because the legends are not in the correct place. If you look carefully, the mintmark SPB is over the letter "ze" or ">|<" whereas on the questioned coin it is above three letters, "MOD"

That is true. But remember that dies for these coins were made individually and placements of other parts of the design relative to the legends can vary, often significantly.

I think this coin MIGHT be real, but I'm not certain that it is. If it is a fake, it's a much more dangerous one than most that show up on ebay.

Hussulo, if you are in the market for a coin like this one, you would be wise to consider buying from a reputable dealer or auction house rather than from ebay. There are far too many fakes offered on ebay and there are many traps for the unwary.

Archived