CoinPeople.com

1 Franc 1965 - Dutch Legends - Chainstrike? Broadstrike? Something else?

Well well well, what do we have here?

This looks like a really nice broadstrike of a 1 Franc 1965 - Dutch legends, struck through a piece of scrap metal, and with nice doubling on the reverse. It also has no reeded edge (which is quite normal for a broadstrike)

This joker measures 22.4 mm instead of the normal 21 mm.

ocs001f02.jpgocs001f02a.jpg

ocs001f02b.jpgocs001f02c.jpg

One question though: Is this a doublestrike, a chainstrike, or only a broadstrike?

It's the first Belgian broadstrike I've seen. These are not so common as in US-coinage.

Regards,

Jos

When is an Off Center struck coin

not called an Off Center struck coin?

When it is called a chain strike.

lcchain.JPG

When two planchets lay on the anvil die and are both struck by the same die. The example on the right is called a Chain Strike Lincoln cent. The odds against finding both sides of this Chain Strike are astronomical.

The number of people that collect Chain Strikes is very limited, mainly because of their rarity. But when one comes up on an auction, bidders come out of the woodwork to bid on one of these gems.

Source: Baker Numismatics

Well, what is it now??? :ninja:

I guess that concerns the stretched part of the planchet. Fred Weinberg uses this quite often when he sells his errors, as you can see HERE

That appears to be a mis-use of the term chainstrike. A chainstrike is like in the picture you show with two coins struck from one die together.

That would be quite ironic, that one of the worldleaders in trading of errorcoins mis-uses that expression, isn't it?

I agree that a chainstrike sounds better for the 2 planchet next to eachother during 1 strike by the dies. But how do you call the other then?

Smudging strike? Stretching?

Regards

Jos

That would be quite ironic, that one of the worldleaders in trading of errorcoins mis-uses that expression, isn't it?

I agree that a chainstrike sounds better for the 2 planchet next to eachother during 1 strike by the dies. But how do you call the other then?

Smudging strike? Stretching?

Regards

Jos

Ow, now I get it :ninja:

The chainstrike in the example Fred Weinberg had for sale there, is the part where the planchet was clearly obstructed by a second coin/planchet, and appears to be like in the chainstrike-example from Baker Numismatics. The edge is straightish, where it is normally curved in other offcenter strikes.

So everything is solved.

Mine is a simple broadstrike, that might have been hit more than once, makes the planchet larger than usually is the case.

Jos

Archived