CoinPeople.com

1967 Canada Mint Set

Burks

While going through some of grandfather's coin collection I remember a 1967 Canada mint/proof set in a red box. It had been a good 8-10 years since it was last opened. Back then the coins were just starting to tone a little bit, today they are brightly toned gold, red, blue, and the quarter is all a dark blue/purple.

Does anyone have information on this set? Value? Mintage? I've never seen a Canadian set come in a long red box before.

From an older (1991) Charlton....

In 1967 the Royal Canadian Mint produced two special cased coins sets to mark the 100th anniversary of Confederation.  The Silver Medallion Set in the red leather-covered case contained one each of the 1¢ to $1 (Proof-like quality) and a sterling silver medallion designed and modelled by Thomas Shingles.  The Gold Presentation set contained a $20 gold coin and one each of the 1¢ to $1, all of Specimen quality.  The coins were housed in a black leather-covered case.

the mintages given are

72,463 for the silver medallion sets, with an issue price of $12.00 (current value in 1991 of $20.00)

337,687 for the gold presentation sets, with an issue price of $40.00 (current value in 1991 of $295.00)

Didn't think it would be worth much. The color on the coins is what I really like. I'll keep them stored the way they are and hope for even more toning.

Oddly the cent and nickel have not one spot of tone on them.

Pure nickel doesn't tone, and bronze rarely tones :ninja:

Wasn't aware of the pure nickel not toning. Just found it odd that there are no marks at all.

Learned more here today then I did at school ;)

Archived