CoinPeople.com

1887 Queen Victoria Jubilee Pin

There were many many expats all over the world that celebrated the jubilee. SF had it's own monarch up until 1880 - Emperor Norton I - numismatically he issued paper notes, usually 50 cents, but reportedly higher denominations also.

Yes, he was a little off center, but everyone accept his notes as legal tender. I would love to own one or two myself.

Yes, he was a little off center, but everyone accept his notes as legal tender. I would love to own one or two myself.

He was off of centre, but so was San Francisco. I almost bought one of the 50 cent notes back when they were a few hundred dollars each, now they start out at about $12k.

Tying this back into Queen Victoria, after the death of Prince Albert, Norton I fancied himself as a prospective suitor to the Queen and alleged that he corresponded with her. After his death there were telegrammes that were probably forgeries created by someone in the local Western Union office in SF that were said to be from Queen Victoria - arranging their betrothal.

SF was a pretty chaotic place, my great great grandmother moved there from Salt Lake City in 1900, and I have quite a few of her photographs from the early days there, including her visit with President McKinley. Also have a very rare gold watch that was made in SF by a jeweller there, that was damaged by the fire after the earthquake in '06. Numismatically I have several pieces of exonumia, mostly from the 1915 Worlds Fair, unfortunately a relative purloined the $2.50 coin that was in the coin purse with the other stuff.

Oh no, say it isn't so! San Francisco celebrated the Queen's jubilee?

Fabulous Bill, I love it :ninja:

Mind, remember my San Fran. Crimean medal

950208.jpg

1855 26th November. San Francisco was celebrating, in South Park, the defeat of the Russians at Sebastopol in the Crimean War. The French eagle savages the Russian double-headed eagle. . The British lion tramples the Russian flag (a pair of feet protude from under it). By V & G 33mm W.M

San Francisco, any excuse for a party!

San Francisco, any excuse for a party!

They even party for the French!

962782.jpg

You might think the city is inhabited by Canadians!

Great medals Bill.

I've never heard of Emperor Norton I before. I'll need to look him up.

Found a couple of links:

http://www.zpub.com/sf/history/nortm3.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joshua_Norton

San Fran had a lot of colourful characters in the 19th century. Not all were quite as harmless as the Emperor though.

Archived