CoinPeople.com

Unhappy with Ebay sales this weekend.

Capnbidwell

I had 15 listings up on Ebay this weekend and none of them performed near as well as June's sales.

These were Canadian coins. Some people got some amazing values. For example a 1947 ML 50¢ with a trend value of $150 went for $47.35. I was ready to put up more coins for the next three weeks but decided to postpone until Fall.

The Canadian coin market has cooled off quite a bit recently, especially medium grade coins. I find that quarters are suffering the most, on many of them bids come up to maybe 40% of the trend value. Key dates and dollars still do fairly well. Your 1945 dollar went for a decent amount, though the 1936 PCGS MS63 dollar didn't fare so well.

As for the 1947 ML 50 cent piece, it was a bit low for sure. But on Ebay people always expect the worst when bidding on raw coins, especially when even the seller notes that there's evidence of cleaning. Given that most sellers would just put it up as is and give it an inflated grade of AU+++ or such, you can't blame the bidders for being cautious.

I can't help think its the summertime doldrums. People just aren't hanging at their computers in the evenings. Holidays, Barbecues, family, long days all contributing to a slow ebay month. I got an email from Ebay today offering free insertion rates for the next 5 weeks. The Ebay folk must know sales are off.

I am in no hurry to sell. Sunday was a test run and it failed. I have some choice Canadian Coins and can wait it out until winter, when its cold and dark and Ebay becomes welcome alternative for those who want to fill out their collection and make some investments.

Your 1945 dollar went for a decent amount, though the 1936 PCGS MS63 dollar didn't fare so well.

Thanks so much for the active interest. There is an example of a counter-intuitive result. The certified coin tanked while the raw coin came close to its value. Interestingly the 1945 got bids early. I believe the winner had it by Thursday, most of the PCGS biding came in during the closing minutes (the mark of professionals).

I was going to follow up this week with some truly valuable Canadian Dollars like a 1948 and some gold but this last Sunday scared me off.

Summer is never a good time to sell on fleaBay, but from my looking at it, fleaBay is becoming a reflection of the economy as a whole as prices dip dip dip. It is a good buyers market, just like real estate, but it stinks for sellers.

Summer is never a good time to sell on fleaBay, but from my looking at it, fleaBay is becoming a reflection of the economy as a whole as prices dip dip dip. It is a good buyers market, just like real estate, but it stinks for sellers.

People are still losing their jobs and homes. Coins are not a priority if you have trouble putting food on the table or keeping a roof over your head.

That's much pessimism. I am a bit more optimistic. With the general market decline commodity prices are up. Gold and Silver are near all time highs. Coins are a great investment. People can't trust the securities and Real Estate market, what better place to go than coins?

Two months ago in June I did some Ebay auctions and they did very well. I think this is a summer thing. David Hall at PCGS does a regular coin market report and he is seeing prices going up at coin auctions for the most part. I will put the video here, but if it doesn't work here is the link:

http://www.pcgsblog.com/category/market-prices

[object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed>[/object]

Thanks so much for the active interest. There is an example of a counter-intuitive result. The certified coin tanked while the raw coin came close to its value. Interestingly the 1945 got bids early. I believe the winner had it by Thursday, most of the PCGS biding came in during the closing minutes (the mark of professionals).

You're very welcome. Ebay has its faults, but their recently completed auctions are easy to navigate! I think part of the disparity in results between the 1936 PCGS MS63 and the raw 1945, is that the mintage for the 1945 is significantly lower. Key days seem to still be doing well, while "run of the mill" medium grade coins are currently in high supply and low demand. I think the summer slump does have something to do with it, but not as much as the general economic situation.

Gold and silver are viewed much more highly as investments than are coins. Even though numismatic coins can be made of the same precious metals, their market is definitely more similar to collectibles such as comic books and baseball cards. The general public is still pretty unaware of gold and silver, let alone the nuances of rarity, grading, etc that is needed in numismatics to turn coins into investments.

True, some auctions are still bringing quite high prices, though from what I have seen those pieces tend to be the more rare/highest grade ones that will always make for competitive auctions. The people bidding on those coins are well off enough financially that this recent economic downturn has had little or no effect on their ability to buy expensive collectibles.

Personally, I've been fortunate enough to pick up some great pieces and decent prices recently. There's definitely more sellers than buyers at the moment. I've got some older/duplicate coins I'm planning on selling, but have held off for a couple years now. I may well hold off even longer depending on how long this recession lasts.

That's much pessimism. I am a bit more optimistic. With the general market decline commodity prices are up. Gold and Silver are near all time highs. Coins are a great investment. People can't trust the securities and Real Estate market, what better place to go than coins?

Maybe you are right. There is no doubt that in an inflationary, expansionist economy, coins, as an "investment", typically do rather well. Right now, we seem to be in a deflationary cycle and one wonders if the same holds true under those conditions.

Archived