CoinPeople.com

A tiny duc de Berry / Caroline medal ?

RegrEspe.jpg

France?, medal on the Duke of Berry?, ca. 1820-1840 AD.?,

silver plated copper medal (13 mm / 1,52 g),

Obv.: REGRETS , uniformed male bust (of Charles Ferdinand d'Artois, duc de Berry?), resting on flowers or clouds, facing left, within a wreath, 7 (or 9?) stars above.

Rev.: ESPERANCE , female bust (of Caroline de Bourbon-Siciles ?) facing right, wearing necklace with a cross, within a wreath formed by two branches with flowers.

Edge: irregular (galvano type?)

Ref. ?

Any corrections or additional information about this ?

Regards

IMG_2716.jpg

On 13 February, 1820 the Duke of Berry was stabbed and mortally wounded. He died on 14 February. Seven months after his death, his widow, the Duchess of Berry(Marie-Caroline de Bourbon-Sicile) gave birth to a son, Henri, who received the title of Duc de Bordeaux, but who is better known as the Comte de Chambord.

On 2nd August 1830 his grandfather Charles X abdicated & a few minutes later his uncle Louis-Antoine d'Artois, Duke of Angoulême(who would have been Louis XIX, King of France) renounced his right to the throne Henri was immediately proclaimed Henri V, King of France and Navarre. However, after a reign of only a few days, his cousin the Regent usurped him & became Louis-Philippe, King of the French on 9 August.

The Duchess of Berry was compelled to follow Charles X to Holyrood after July 1830, but it was with the resolution of returning speedily and making an attempt to secure the throne for her son. From Britain she went to Italy, and in April 1832 she landed near Marseille with Louis Comte de Chaisne de Bourmont ex-General-in-Chief of the French Army, but receiving little support, she made her way towards the loyal districts of Vendée and Brittany. Her followers, however, were defeated, and, after remaining concealed for five months in a house in Nantes, she was betrayed to the government and imprisoned in the castle of Blaye, freed in July 1833 after the discovery of her recent marriage to an obscure Italian nobleman, Count Ettore Lucchesi-Palli, an act that exempted her from the French throne.

So I believe your medalette can be dated pretty acurately 1830-1832.

Great find

Not very common. Here is one of mine 11mm, I have one 14mm that I still have to post.

974870.jpg

VICTORIA QUEEN OF GREAT BRITAIN AND IRELAND * J. B. M. Rev. MARRIED FEBRUARY 10 1840 TO PRINCE ALBERT OF SAX COBURG AND GOTHA. 11mm Gold Medal by J. B. Merlen(or Merlin) BHM#1916 RRRR. Highest rarity in BHM.

LINK TO SOME NAPOLEONIC 13mm & 14mm MEDALS

I guess the most common sizes are between 25mm to 50mm.

Someone posted this one....... :ninja:

med142.jpg

Brass Medal (8 mm / 0,36 g),

Obv.: PRINCE OF - WALES , youthful head of Albert Edward right.

Rev.: ALBERT / PRINCE / OF WALES / BORN / NOV: 9. 1841 , in five lines.

Someone posted this one....... ;)

med142.jpg

Brass Medal (8 mm / 0,36 g),

Obv.: PRINCE OF - WALES , youthful head of Albert Edward right.

Rev.: ALBERT / PRINCE / OF WALES / BORN / NOV: 9. 1841 , in five lines.

Yes - that was the first one, after 47 years.

:ninja:

Archived