CoinPeople.com

Scarcity of Tsarist era poltina

gxseries

Is it just me or in general that poltina of almost every era seems to be more difficult to obtain than crown sized ruble or any other silver denomination? :ninja:

In most series, the half-crown size is usually rarer than the crown-size coins.

In most series, the half-crown size is usually rarer than the crown-size coins.

Sounds like a good homework problem...for what years is the poltina more common than the rouble for a given mint.

The silver mavens probably know examples immediately. I'd have to think about it. :ninja:

In my opinion (XIX-XX centuries only):

1839, 1857, 1858, 1859, 1860, 1861ФБ, 1862, 1863, 1894, 1895, 1910, 1913ВС, 1913ЭБ

For Nicholas I, I find the following years have more CPB Poltinas than CPB Roubles in my image database

1839 67 vs 3

1845 85 vs 49

1848 85 vs 71

All other years, the Roubles win.

Sounds like a good homework problem...for what years is the poltina more common than the rouble for a given mint.

The silver mavens probably know examples immediately. I'd have to think about it. :ninja:

That's is right ! It is not "in general" at all. ;)

1839 67 vs 3

Well, this one is not really fair. These would only be fair to compare in proof.

In general, as an opinion, I agree with the first statement of GX, if it is qualified -- in AU or higher a poltina is normally harder to find that a ruble of the same year, except for years like 1839 with a very limited mintage of rubles.

This kinda puzzles me - I thought it would be normal for smaller denomination's population to be higher than the larger denomination. For the past 200+ years, poltinas just seem to be uncommon other than the later years of Alexander III and Nicholas II. Would that mean if shopkeepers have to give change, they were often in 25 kopeks and smaller denominations? :ninja: Kinda defeats the purpose of having to strike so many ruble coins.

The only reason why I thought of this question was simply because I found it so difficult to find any cheap examples of poltinas - attempting to do a type set and this can be a real challenge.

Maybe it's time to create a new post of "post your poltina".

because poltinas are too diffucult to find, it does not mean for me that majority of rubles cost more than poltinas :ninja:

Archived