CoinPeople.com

Coin spoon

Guest Stujoe

Guest Stujoe
Back in World War II, in Holland, the Germans ordered that all bronze and silver and gold coins were handed in and traded against zinc coins. The only coin that didn't need to be brought in was the half cent, because it was so very small (14 mm diameter).

The zinc coins did obviously not bear the portrait of the queen, but had symbolic images (designed under German supervision).

Many of the Dutch people did not bring the silver and bronze coins back, but kept them. This was suppoerted by the Dutch government in excile, who stated that all coins would get their original value back, after the war.

However, it was forbidden to have the old coins. And it was also forbiden to have portraits of the queen.

So people thought of ways to "legalize" the coins they had. Many 10 cent coins and 25 cent coins were used in bracelets. Half guilder, guilder and 2 1/2 guilder coins were used in necklaces and broches.

Another, often found solution was to transform the coins into utensils. Two coins, e.g. a 10 cent and a half guilder would be soldered at a strip of silver-like metal, each at one end. Then you would have a kind of tea spoon. Often the metal strip was nicely twisted. And the coins were often hammered into a bowl shape.

Many varieties excist, with different coins.

I have a half cent and a 2 1/2 cent (both bronze) connected by a copper strip.  Made by my grand dad :ninja:

Spoon2.jpg

My mom has a 10 cent and a half guilder (both silver)

Spoon1.jpg