CoinPeople.com

1999 1/10 gold eagle double die?

Hi All,

More questions again, sorry. :ninja: I bought my son a 1999 1/10 ounce gold eagle and was just checking it out under the microscope. I know, i know too much free time. Well it looks like the "LIBERTY" and the stars above it are doubled on the bottom and the right (or maybe the left) edge. I searched the net and did find an example that the people selling it wanted $5000 dollars for. That appears to be much to high, are they that rare? Maybe my son has some collage money, well at least his books. Thanks,

Jason

Although I thought they used a "proof style" of manufacture even for the business strikes on the gold coins it sounds like machine or strike doubling. Granted I am no expert on this matter as I've not heard of a certified doubled die from this series.

I've gatta tell you that's impressive looking on a gold coin. But I think I'll stick with my original thoughts about it being strike/machine doubling. Did you think about sending it in for third party grading?

I don't have my reference works here at work, but at some point the mint changed to a single press hubbing mechanism which theoretically makes double dies impossible (I guess they could accidently hub the same die twice). I will leave it to the experts, but at some point shouldn't all such doubling be machine (or strike) doubling? Interesting, but hardly a premium.

there is a different "look" to a true double die.... it's hard to explain but if you look at enough double dies you will see what I am talking about. Find a good picture of a 1995 double die cent and study the doubling. It just has a different look to it then mechanacial doubling. I wish I could be more clear on the differences.... I will go through some coins tommorow at the shop and see if I can find some examples.

I have a 2001 lincoln cent that has hard crisp well defined strike doubling on it, it looks like true hub doubling but I can't find a listing for it existing. So it must be strike/machined right? The gold 1/10th pictured def does have that mushy look to it, and if you've seen enough strike doubles as well as true doubled dies you can see a big difference in nearly all of their empty fields. A normal doubled die is crisp and smooth just like a normal coin, while nearly every strike double i've come across has a mushy, or just different looking field area. The 1/10th pictured has that muchy look to it, if you ask me.

vfox just because it hasn't been reported dosen't mean %100 that it isn't... but it helps a lot.

That's true. There was a close AM 1992 cent just recently discovered. You never know what else is out there.

That's true. There was a close AM 1992 cent just recently discovered. You never know what else is out there.

When I get my little USB microscope I'll take some shots of it...my digital camera and scanner suck for close ups lol.

Thanks Matt and everyone else! :ninja: I can see the difference now. So on average how often does a double strike happen? I would think that with a die doubling you could determine the number of coins that were minted by that die. Doesn't a typical die last for around 150,000 strikes?

Archived