CoinPeople.com

TCACC April Meeting Recap

jlueke

Our attendance this month neared 50 individuals, due in part to the nice Spring weather but mostly due to our speaker, Kerry Wetterstrom. Kerry is a long time collector/dealer and now the editor of the premier English language publication for ancient coin collectors, The Celator. The presentation's title was “The Coinage of Nektanebo II of Egypt (and other Pharaohs)”. Nektanebo issued a series of gold staters featuring hieroglyphics. These little gold coins are extremely fascinating. A horse, a necklace, a hear and windpipe are translated to “the King's good gold”. I saw the piece in the ANS collection at the Federal Reserve Bank in New York in January. In my opinion, this is the most interesting coin in the whole exhibit.

Besides the core presentation Kerry also shared several interesting anecdotes. The details he recalls from decades ago make for wonderful stories. I always enjoy listening to people who are passionate about their subject, and it's easy to see that Kerry loves coins.

After the talk we presented our long time secretary Art Noot with a lifetime achievement award. He was quire surprised, and hopefully we'll get some pictures up soon. We concluded with a very successful club auction that yielded the club enough to cover the very handsome award and brought be an affordable copy of Krause World Coins 1601-1700.

591531.jpg

Archived