CoinPeople.com

Coins used in 18th century Limburg

jlueke

Goin back a ways many of my ancestors came from the Limburg area of the Netherlands. In the 1700's the area does not appear to have struck its own coins. Does anyone have an idea what they would have used there? Coins of Holland, Aachen, Julich? Any and all of those?

Many of the United Provinces issued coinage with some of the larger issuers including: Gelderland, Holland, West Friesland, Overyssel, Zeeland and Utrecht.

Since the provinces were, in fact, united coinage of these provinces circulated throughout the Netherlands. The most famous coin is hte Silver Rider a crown with a mounted knight on one side and a coat of arms on the other. They also issued the ubiquitious ducat along with plenty of minor coinage.

Netherlands coinage is rather cold making for some nice bargains these days. As an aside, my avatar is Dutch from the then Imperial Free City of Nijmegan - one of two Dutch coinsin my collection.

Many of the United Provinces issued coinage with some of the larger issuers including: Gelderland, Holland, West Friesland, Overyssel, Zeeland and Utrecht. 

Since the provinces were, in fact, united coinage of these provinces circulated throughout the Netherlands.  The most famous coin is hte Silver Rider a crown with a mounted knight on one side and a coat of arms on the other.  They also issued the ubiquitious ducat along with plenty of minor coinage.

Netherlands coinage is rather cold making for some nice bargains these days.  As an aside, my avatar is Dutch from the then Imperial Free City of Nijmegan - one of two Dutch coinsin my collection.

Cool, thanks. My mom has identified 445 ancestors so far making it tough to complete an ancestor coin collection based on their birth years. But at least this way there's a little bit larger pool to choose from in completing the set.

Archived