CoinPeople.com

ID?

syzygy

I dont usually pick up a coin that I know almost nothing about - except when it has a date in the 1700s and a price tag of $2. The description is Netherlands / East Indies 2 duits. I don't have a Krause for this time period - anybody have a KM# or any info about this one?

908138.jpg

KM118 2 Duit copper, mint mark is star

Obverse is crowned arms supported by lions, reverse is VOC monogram over date

2.50/VG, 4.00/F, 6.25/VF, 10.00/XF

My 18th century Krause is almost 9 years old so values may have gone up.

Interestingly enough the 2 Duits were struck from 1840-43.

These coins may not send anyone to college but they are very interesting unto themselves and especially in their historical context.

At the beginning of the XVII century another small nation, the United Provinces of Netherlands took the place of Portugal. The United Provinces with the West and the East India companies the GWC (WIC) (Geoctroyeerde West-Indische Compagnie) and the VOC (Verenigde Oost-Indische Compagnie) ruled the scene for nearly 150 years, until the coming of the English power. Amsterdam was the commercial and financial capital of the whole Europe and The Netherlands was the leading commercial nation.

If you choose to sell that piece, please let me know. It would look real nice next to my 1 duit.

908142.jpg

BTW, don't know if you are aware of this, but your piece is a "Utrecht" piece. All the Dutch provincial mints struck duits for the United East India Company (VOC), and the obverse has their distinct arms. The provinces are:

• Gelderland - arms (2 lions combattant)
  • Holland - arms (lion rampant)
  • Utrecht - city arms (Per bend, white and red)
  • Westfriesland - arms (billety, 2 lions passant guardant)
  • Zeeland - arms (lion rising from sea)

Archived