CoinPeople.com

TDP Asks Some Great Questions

TDP.jpg

The above question was in reference to the "Inseparable Friends" http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php/topic/34267-can-you-separate-the-inseparable-friends-of-1814/?hl=kettle and I might have an answer, or at least a theory, thanks TDP. Here is the medal from that topic.

DSCF2596-horz.jpg

This next new acquisition picture below ticks so many boxes for me. It is, by Thomas Kettle, in great condition, a very rare variant, estimated by Fauver as only 5-10 known, only listed in AE, this is silvered, and the reverse shows signs of an unfinished die, see enlarged pic note the reverse of the 'Inseperable Friends' showing that the US in RUSSIA & the NC in PRINCE are futher engraved, whereas the NG in WELLINGTON is not, the central Q etc also had to be improved!
This piece, combined with 2 other silvered Kettle pieces which are in themselves extremely rare variants and also in great condition, leads me to theorize that Kettle was producing some die variants, which perhaps he only struck in very small numbers & silvered to offer at a premium the most likely answer to TDP's great question.
DSCF3268-horz-vert.jpg
DSCF3261.jpg
This is the other medal, unsigned variant which Fauver lists as only 5-10 known in AE unlisted in silvered, with lathe lines on reverse.
IMG_2985-1.jpgIMG_2986-1.jpg
IMG_2986-2.jpg
Comparison between 2 obverses, my silvered variant & the more common variety, showing how different they are.
DSCF3268-horz_1.jpg

Const, this goes way back! Are you missing some pics from this thread? The first half of your post seems more disjointed than your normally eloquent posts.

Huh... So are you thinking he only struck with a die a dozen or so times before re-engraving it? If so, would you say that's because the die needed to be re-engraved or for some other reason?

By the way, looks like I never responded to your question in the original thread. You are correct with option #2 - I was wondering why the dies would be engraved differently. And you successfully answered it.

Huh... So are you thinking he only struck with a die a dozen or so times before re-engraving it? If so, would you say that's because the die needed to be re-engraved or for some other reason?

He struck over 200 examples of some pieces from a single die or at least from dies that look exactly the same. So I believe he just had variants made to strike a very small number of pieces as collector's items, at a high price of course. Bear in mind the original purpose of these was for game counters, which originally mimicked guineas up to circa 1800 but later changed to commemorate current events & people, and would mostly still have been purchased for gaming. That is why I think these extremely rare pieces are usually found in such great condition, whereas the more common pieces often show signs of wear.