CoinPeople.com

[NEWS] Thousands of silver coins found in century-old home

johnkier

Did anyone else yelp when they started handling them? I was sitting here going "By the edges! By the edges, you fool!" :D

They don't care. Most will end up sold for silver melt.

I wince whenever I see anything like that; my thinking is that if you don't already know for certain that it doesn't have value above melt, then handle it like it does.

Not as wince inducing, though, as some of the pictures I've seen on eBay of proofs for sale... and the picture is of the raw coin in the seller's bare hand. :wallbash:

Anyway, I think beyond the coins with definite collector value, they should set aside some mid-grade coins, maybe a hundred or so, to put on eBay just to cash in on the novelty of the find -- see if they can get them slabbed under the title "St Cloud Hoard" or "Piggy Bank House" or something. Even if they're not high grade, there's always someone who'll buy a coin with an interesting provenance.

I wince whenever I see anything like that; my thinking is that if you don't already know for certain that it doesn't have value above melt, then handle it like it does.

Not as wince inducing, though, as some of the pictures I've seen on eBay of proofs for sale... and the picture is of the raw coin in the seller's bare hand. :wallbash:

Anyway, I think beyond the coins with definite collector value, they should set aside some mid-grade coins, maybe a hundred or so, to put on eBay just to cash in on the novelty of the find -- see if they can get them slabbed under the title "St Cloud Hoard" or "Piggy Bank House" or something. Even if they're not high grade, there's always someone who'll buy a coin with an interesting provenance.

Heck for the right price I'd buy a nice slabbed Walker with the provenance.

They may not realize the damage fingers do to coins or how we value good, clean faces with little wear