CoinPeople.com

Proof coins

jrwild9553

Hello again,

I decided to start a proof state quarter collection. Actually, I got a Whitman album that holds both P and D mints. The P slot will hold the colorized quarters and the D slot will be the clad proofs. Good idea, I know.

I do have cotton gloves to put these proofs in the album. However, even the guy I bought them from advised against pressing down on the proofs with the cotton gloves. So I ask, what would be a good material or object to lightly press these coins into the port? I have ruled out a hammer, an oily rag and my cats paw.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have thoughts like a hard piece of rubber that comes to a semi point, then gently press down on a part of the coin that is not the mirror like surface. These are not exactly going into a museum, but I would like to keep them clean.

Also, since Whitman makes some albums specifically to hold proofs, I assume they are acid free pages and will not tarnish or tone over time.

Thanks, Jim

Can you describe the album a bit better. Is it the kind with the sliding clear panels that allow display of both sides of the coin?

As I recall the coins should just drop into the slots. I doubt that any pressure would be needed. Have fun with it.