CoinPeople.com

Petition to get the US Mint to improve its entire lineup

ikaros

Figured I ought to put my money where my mouth is, so to speak, relative to my comment on the gold coin thread.

I've started a petition on petitions.whitehouse.gov to that precise end, thusly:

We petition the Obama Administration to direct the US Mint to commence a complete redesign of American coinage

In 1904, President Roosevelt sent a letter to Treasury Secretary Leslie Shaw, in which he described the then-current coins in circulation as being of "atrocious hideousness".

Our current coinage is again of atrocious hideousness: modern designs are flat and lifeless rather than sculpted, with all the character of an arcade token. The Native American and Statehood/America the Beautiful issues do not really combat this trend.

We ask the president to direct the Treasury to redesign all American coinage, both circulating and bullion/collectible issues. We also ask for a return to classic portrayals of Liberty rather than the commemoration of historical figures, or that persons so commemorated be deceased for at least 100 years, to avoid partisanship in choosing the new designs.

The direct link to it is here, and I invite you to sign. Or not, if you don't agree. :)