CoinPeople.com

Sierra Ball Pens by Faber Castell

Sierra_obv.jpgSierra_Rev.jpg

38 mm. Silver. Reeded edge.
Obverse: “Sierra Ball Pens” on Mountain. “Faber Castell / 1986” below.
Reverse modeled on Morgan Dollar.
Legends “
United States of America One Troy Oz. / .999 Fine Silver.”

November 16, 2011

The World's Biggest Maker of Pencils Tries to Erase its Eco-Mark

Faber-Castell treesFor Americans, Faber-Castell may not have quite the name recognition of, say, Ticonderoga. Which doesn't change the fact that Faber-Castell is the world's leading producer of wood pencils, cranking out some 2 billion graphite-filled sticks per year.

That’s a lot of wood.

Fortunately, the family-run, Germany-based company, which this year is celebrating its 250th anniversary, is trying to do better by the environment by strengthening its commitment to conscientious forestry.

One of its biggest eco-initiatives came in the mid-1980s, when the company started a sustainable tree-planting project in Brazil. Developed on former grassland and nowhere near the Amazon River, the company-planted pine forest provides about 75% of Faber-Castell's wood. After the trees are cut down, they're quickly replaced with seedlings of fast-growing pine species.

SeedlingCovering nearly 25,000 acres in the Brazilian state of Minas Gerais, Faber-Castell reserves 30% of its land as habitat for more than 200 species of birds, mammals, reptiles, and amphibians, some of which are endangered.

Because of its forest project, the company says it's carbon-neutral three times over — that is, it absorbs three times more carbon dioxide than it produces. Faber-Castell also claims to be the first in the industry to use a water-based varnish for its pencils, replacing the old coating based on chemical solvents. This also makes conditions healthier for employees.

The company's other green initiatives include reducing its non-recyclable waste: Of Faber-Castell's total amount of refuse, 88% is now recyclable. And 90% of the energy used at its Brazil location comes from renewable sources, mainly wood and water.

http://sierraclub.typepad.com/greenlife/2011/11/pencil-maker-faber-castell-environment.html'

http://www.fabercastell.com/company/about-us

Faber-Castell, established in 1761 by the cabinet maker Kaspar Faber (1730-1784†), is one of the oldest industrial companies in the world. The company is the world’s leading manufacturer of wood-cased pencils with a varied range of products for writing, drawing and creative design, as well as decorative cosmetics. Faber-Castell is renowned for its high quality, innovative products, commitment to tradition, and environmental awareness.

Lothar von Faber (Fourth generation, 1817-1896†) took over the family business in 1839. He is remembered, in particular, as a pioneer of the branded article who in creating his own brand name set a new standard that became a yardstick – not just for this line of business, but also for the generations who later headed the company. “From the start I was determined to raise myself to the highest rank by making the best that can be made in the world.”

Today the eighth generation family member Count Anton-Wolfgang von Faber-Castell, who took over as head of the company in 1978, has been instrumental in new product development and the expansion of international activities. Count Faber-Castell takes delight in rediscovering products from the past and recreating them with timeless design and modern technology.

More industrial medals on my blog article here.

A very interesting read and a nice medal. Frankly, I had not know any of this before reading this article. Thanks for sharing it with us.

This forum - as most others in numismatics - is organized by a physical taxonomy: US coins, Foreign coins, ... etc. In fact, my collections are all pretty much thematic. This Sierra Pen medal fits into a couple of categories, perhaps the more salient being Writing & Publishing.

I have these banknotes:

Bulgaria celebrated its first printing press.

Iceland celebrated literacy.

Slovenia honored its first ABCD.

Hungary was always big on the poet Sándor Petőfi and I have several.

And I have this medal from the Pitman Graphics Company

Pitman+Graphics.JPG

Bronze 75 mm (3 inches). Extremely high relief.
Plain edge with incuse “Medallic Arts Company Bronze.”
Obverse: “Serving the Graphic Arts / 1906 – Fiftieth Anniversary – 1956”
“Pitman” (At left above P engraver’s name: Harold M).
Center: in Wreath: Camera, Press, Engraver’s hand with tool.
Reverse: three scenes: “Photo Engraving”: “Lithography”: “Rotogravure”.
Center triangle with center circle Camera and operator.

Harold M. Pitman founded the company in Chicago in 1907. Starting out by himself, he made and sold steel dies and copper plates to engravers. Pitman celebrated its 100th birthday in 2007. Agfa Gevaert Group acquired Pitman for $80 million on July 15, 2010. The Pitman brand is still seen at 16 sales and operations offices in the USA.