CoinPeople.com

Rouble 1817

vanrejn

Due to the fact that I left Russia many years ago, I was unable to bring my father coin collection with me. One of his coins was 1818 Rouble.

Recently, I bought 1817 Rouble and unfortunately have some doubts about it authenticity.

I would appreciate if members have a look and comment.

IMG_2177.jpg

IMG_2179.jpg

IMG_2180.JPG

IMG_0534.JPG

IMG_0535.JPG

Judging only by the picture it is always difficult to be 100% sure that the coin is legit. Let's put it that way, It's not an obvious fake. Other methods need to be applied. The pictures, unfortunately, not clear and not large enough for the front and back of the coin to see the structure of the metal near important parts. That it has been cleaned is also a little a bad point, original patina is the best certificate of authentication. If I saw it on eBay, let's say, I wouldn't bid high, or wouldn't bid at all. Saying that, at this stage, I cannot say if it is original or fake with a high level of certainty. Let’s see what other people think.

Get a magnifying glass or microscope and examine the coin. You have to rely on experience here, if you don't have that, it's a little more difficult unless you can compare with another Russian silver coin of that age. The edge doesn't look bad, and I like that the corners of the edge are sharp, it is a good sign. Most Chinese fakes have their corners cut, and their fakes' metal has a different shine.

Additional questions: where did you buy it from and how much did you pay for it?

As a last resort you can follow this example: http://coins.su/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=329430

or at least make your pictures as large...

They have identical weakness in the strike and the sellers are at the same address. That sets the alarm bells off for me.

I checked the lettering on the reverse against a picture (from Uzdenikov) of that reverse and the Ts look too wide, also.. that was bothering me as they seemed out of proportion to the rest of the font.

As far as I can tell from the pictures now, it is an original coin. I think it's all good. Thank you for the larger images.

You can compare details with the these coins if you like:

http://www.m-dv.ru/catalog/id,2663/prohod.html

You will probably be able to find coins of similar dies.

All the questionable details are of a circulation origin or the die master's skill :)

I was hoping with this one, but I am yet to see a copy of the 1817 rouble. ;)