CoinPeople.com

problem of weight

SOMMER

hello everybody , i hope all is fine

I recently bought this coin a 1 rouble 177 the size is correct , the coin is nice but the weight is not normal to my mind.

the uzdenikov give 24 g as weight of this coin.but the effective weight of mine is 24,8 g

IMGA0966.JPGIMGA0965.JPG

do you think it s a fake??

thanks and regards

jean

helllo, for me it look likes nice ( XF- maybe or XF) , but it seems that the weight doesn t exceed 2 % of the legal alloy.

That s why I have a little doubt.

PS this a 1773 rouble

regards from France

jean

hello everybody , i hope all is fine

I recently bought this coin a 1 rouble 177 the size is correct , the coin is nice but the weight is not normal to my mind.

the uzdenikov give 24 g as weight of this coin.but the effective weight of mine is 24,8 g

IMGA0966.JPGIMGA0965.JPG

do you think it s a fake??

thanks and regards

jean

Hello Jean,

Uzdenikov (I have the 2nd edition) gives a nice explanation about weight control on page 547-549 ... it might be on a different page in other editions. He states that silver coins of the XVIII century could vary from the prescribed 24g by 0.4g. Yours seems a bit heavy, but Uzdenikov also states that even silver and gold coins were weighed in batches. Some individual coins were weighed at random, but apparently not EVERY coin.

So if your coin were weighed together with two other roubles, one of exactly 24g and the other 24.4g, the average of all three would be 24.4g and this would be fine. If one of the other roubles were slightly lighter, e.g. 23.6g, the average would then be exactly 24g. If this is the only deviation from the normal genuine coin, then you probably have nothing to worry about.

thank you for all , I only had a little doubt, because I bought this coin in a shop ,a little bit expensive but in a good grade to my mind (easily collectible)

regards and see you soon

jean