CoinPeople.com

1837 EM HA RUSSIA NICHOLAS I 10 KOPEKS

extant4cell

Yes, it is somewhat correct. I woke up around 3 am to bid on it. I received a second-chance offer from the seller (most probably shill bidding!), but I don't think I'll be paying that much. Apparently there was a question of authenticity here as there were identical die coins sold by the same seller in the past as I'm told now. I am yet to decide what to do and need your advice. I think the coin is genuine but... Here is another coin he sold in the past with that characteristic right wing die imperfection:

1009333.jpg

Yes, it is somewhat correct. I woke up around 3 am to bid on it. I received a second-chance offer from the seller (most probably shill bidding!), but I don't think I'll be paying that much. Apparently there was a question of authenticity here as there were identical die coins sold by the same seller in the past as I'm told now. I am yet to decide what to do and need your advice. I think the coin is genuine but... Here is another coin he sold in the past with that characteristic right wing die imperfection:

1009333.jpg

I wouldn't. Just a couple of weeks ago the same seller sold a coin on eBay for a large amount, and the very next day was offering it to one of our forum members as a second chance. Problem was that that forum member was 3rd or 4th under bidder. This seller is clearly dishonest. And it might be that he/she has a few of these coins to offer right down the bidding line. :)

I think his second chance offer was knocked down by others alex. I don't believe he has identical coins, probably he has coins from the same dies if they were found in one tin. Steve, $150 would be a good price if it was original ;) I'd probably buy it for twice that amount.. but given that it is too suspicious how he sells bringing price up artificially, using (no doubt) shill bidding, I am having second thoughts. It looks genuine to me, but I was fooled before. When you talk about China, it's not all fake. Kharbin was heavily populated by Russians with reasonable wealth accumulated there (one of the reasons for Trans-Siberian) who stayed there after revolution and mover around the world slowly and particularly after IIWW when Soviet troops entered. Much of that wealth was hidden away and now slowly found just like in Russia, with metal detectors. Here some auction results: http://www.m-dv.ru/catalog/id,2357/prohod.html So, buy or not to buy and if buy how much it really worth?

Here a few more finds of this particular eagle die:

• post-14194-133572950679_thumb.jpg
  • post-14194-133572952099_thumb.jpg

1_4b795c84a13c4.jpg2_4b795c84a1f81.jpg

Sold by "Gorny & Mosch GmbH" in 2010 for $300

http://www.m-dv.ru/monety-rossii-1700-1917/prohod,42279/coins,1947/type,2357/auction,7/date,2010-03-10/lot,3221/images-prohod.html

and this one:

p_49918e3cba335.jpg

by

"DMITRY MARKOV Coins & Medals" for $220 in 2008...

http://www.m-dv.ru/monety-rossii-1700-1917/prohod,5644/coins,1947/type,2357/auction,16/date,2008-01-10/lot,1291/images-prohod.html

Looks like they are original coins too...

Do you not see that the dings on the first 2 coins you showed are matching? This is either the same coin but toned, or these are cloned copies!

How long has it taken you to make up your mind about this coin? Do you think it is likely that everyone else made an instant reply to the seller rejecting the coin? It is clear that this seller is cheating in his auctions by shill bidding everyone out and driving the price up. Do you want to deal with him/her and find out in what other ways you'll get cheated?

The truth Alex is that I want this coin... just don't want to overpay. His eBay reputation is 100% and I think that cheating stops with shill bidding. I don't want to overpay and would like to make sure that the coin is genuine. It seams to me it is. Yes, seller is not very honest, but I am not collecting sellers ;) If anyone among people I know has this (similar condition) coin for sale for a reasonable price, I would gladly consider buying from them... I appreciate your concern, and would probably report this seller to eBay if I still didn't consider the coin, because once his account is closed, bye-bye the coin... :yes:

I understand your logic there, and the last thing I want to do is to deffend this seller, because what he does is wrong. However, looking through his feedback - it's positive 100%. Even if he sells via second-chance-offer, he sells to genuine buyers on eBay, and if anyone after receiving the coin was not happy about this they would complained in the feedback big time!

Sorry, cannot do this as info was provided to me by one of the members of that forum privately. Since he chose not to share it publicly, I will not do this either. Here is a link to a coin of the same die that was already discussed on that forum in April ... http://coins.su/forum/index.php?showtopic=86356&hl= Thank you! PS: I bought it last night :)

Well no I'm just confused. According to that forum thread 1st and 2nd coins presented hear are the same coin. However, the same eBay seller Jalingus sold it at the end of April to a Russian collector in West Palm Beach. Who received it about a month later and took the second set of pictures presented here as coin 2.

Why did the coin end up back in Hong Kong? I guess it was returned?? Why???

Once again Good Luck!

Good day, everyone! (Alexbq2, you may remember me from CFN, I had some Russian coins for exchange.. I must say that I really enjoy photos from your coin collection on Omnicoin!)

Yes I still have the "twin" of this coin that I got from the same seller earlier this year :yes: . Congratulations to Extant4cell with a new coin!

Hi Andrey,

I must say that your collection on Omnicoin is Great! Thanks for posting!!!

I realize my mistake. The 2 eBay coins do look remarkably similar. Now that I actually compared them I see the difference. I'm still surprised by the coincidence and the incredibly similar dings and dimples on the coins. I hope Eugene receives the coin and likes it. But I for one will stay away from this seller. I don't like his tactics.

Thank you to both of you. Alex, you played a bit of adversary in this discussion, and it is always important to have someone critical, it pushes your research further, and sometimes protects you from making mistakes, but I know it may be difficult. Thank you for your interest in helping, I appreciate this. AnrdeFi, thank you for congrats and most of all for sharing your information with me, it was and is very valuable and timely. Hope to get this beauty soon! Does it make us 5K masonic brothers? :) :) :) Also, welcome to CoinPeople!

...But I for one will stay away from this seller. I don't like his tactics.

Most of the time it is a wise decision that saves you from trouble and worries. I believe, that these two coins are from the same find (are there more?). A lot of Russians lived in China per-revolution and up to the end of WWII, there must be a lot of hidden treasured around there... I knew a few people here in Melbourne that used to live there, and still cross with some of their families when I go to church (occasionally) ...

• 3 months later...

Another genuine coin from the same die set... Must have been a big hide out. ;) By the way, Alex, I finally received the book on fakes today. Just picked it up, haven't even opened it yet. I'll let you know what I think about it a bit later, when have a chance to examine it. Cheers!