CoinPeople.com

bekiz

I don't think that US silver coins with toning are even close to rare. I would venture a guess that in general US coins being more collector oriented in the 60's and 70's were far more likely to be dipped than their Russian counterparts.

Art is entirely correct.

Many US coins were put away and kept from toning. Many, many, many others have toned but get "dipped" to remove the toning. If done carefully it doesn't do too much damage to a coin although you will see pieces that are "dipped out"--someone left them in the dip long enough that enough material was removed that the coin is obviously cleaned.

On the other side of the spectrum I have a "star ruble" that was obviously artificially toned--I bought it when I was brand spanking new to the hobby and didn't know any better. I've also seen a LOT of Nicholas II and Alexander III era coins with no trace whatsoever of toning, over the years. And my older Russian coins could be all over the map, toning wise; I had quite a number with "old collection toning" which brought uninformed criticism on my head when I exhibited them. (Don't worry, I did well anyway.)

Archived