CoinPeople.com

George IV 1830. NEW ADDITION ADDED A MUST SEE!!!

GeoIVcopyorreducinglines.jpg

GeoIVcopyorreducinglinesRev.jpg

Obv: Bare head of George IV, left. GEORGIUS IV DEI GRATIA

Rev: Funeral urn on rectangular plinth inscribed DIED / JUNE 26 / 1830 Above: LIVD BELOVED. DIED LAMENTED Below: . BORN 1762 .

BHM# 1399, Br 25mm by ? R. Strangely no mention of the weeping willow.

This would not be anything very special except for the visible copy/reducing lines on the obverse, even though it is in a very nice condition & is a rare medal. The front of George's neck just seems to blend in to the field & the hair does not look finished, I have tried but cannot find another example to compare it too & see if there was any further engraving done to the die.

Another one to add to my growing collection of copy/reducing line medals from this era 1800-1830.

Here is one from a previous post, with copy/reducing lines, and I was lucky enough to find another struck from the same dies after more engraving was done. Compare the foreheads, central cheek area etc. So I believe that the first Charlote was struck as a test piece, struck before the die was fully hardened, hence the pristine strike. So that is why I am keen to find another example of the George IV medal, or at least a photo of one

IMG_2915.jpg

002-3.jpg

Queen Charlotte Death Medals 1818 RRR. BHM #968

Obv. Diademed head of Queen Charlotte, right. H . M . G . M . QUEEN CHARLOTTE.

Rev. BORN MAY 19 . 1744 / MARRIED / SEPR. 9 . 1761 . / DIED AT KEW / NOVR. 17 . 1818 / AFTER A VIRTUOUS / REIGN WITH HER / BELOVED KING / OF 57 YEARS

AE, AE silvered 25 by ? AE RRR; AE silvered RRR. Unlisted in Brass.

Interesting pairing. I could get used to collecting pairs showing the progression. Finding them, now that's the problem. Congratulations.

• 1 year later...

This is the latest find & the one with copy/reducing lines is shown below it.

DSCF1003-horz.jpg

GeoIVcopyorreducinglines-horz.jpg As you can see there has been more engraving done to the obverse die, especially in the hair & also on the neck, around the eye & jowl area. The reverse has had more work to the die as well, the foliage has more detail as does the urn but perhaps the most striking is the inscription on the tomb which appears to have been restruck deeper all except the "6" in "JUNE 26" strange. This new acqusition has been heavily guilded and is probably the finest example of any of this type & era brass token/medal that I have seen. The copy/reducing lines have also disappeared.

• 4 weeks later...

Contantius,

Here's another medal with reducing lines. This is 2 examples BHM 1110 from the same reverse die and different obverse dies. On the reverse you can see the heavy reducing lines on the first example, and on the second example the lines are gone. There have been some small changes besides the removal of the lines:

1 - texture of the king's cape behind his leg has been increased

2 - more pellets have been added to the mat the lion is sitting on, behind the king's cape

3 - the four pellets on the forward panel of the throne have been modified slightly to give them some depth

Barry Murphy

bhm1110x2.jpg

Very nice!

Here is the same obverse of the one with the reducing lines, but used on BHM#1134(1821 visit to Ireland), also with reducing lines. Seems strange that no one appears to have previously written about these early English brass medals with reducing lines showing, which then had further work done to the dies, considering these medals come from roughly 200 years ago,1800-1830. Should I perhaps have written "bothered about these" instead?

Either way I am glad that I "started the ball rolling", it is nice to find other people interested in them.

006.jpg