CoinPeople.com

Fake beard token on eBay

bobh

Fake beard token. It is a well-known fake pictured on p. 119 of the 1997 Brekke supplement.

I have contacted the seller, but unfortunately there is little time left in this auction. And people have already bid it up to over $250. :(

And this is the answer just received from the seller:

"There was a coin sold in the auction , May 12 2011 Worldwide coins of California James F Elmen lot #303 sold for $2500,The only difference is the one in the auction has a countermark."

- drutau

:confus:

Looks like a seller to avoid!

As this is clearly visible that this is fake we have 2 possibilities :

1. shill bidding

2. bidders were blind ... less popular sollution but possible (as we consider statistics)

:hysterical:

By the way and taking this "beard tokens" as an example...

Don't you think that it is funny that quite often fakes that received some background story ..

mean someone bought them on auction as genuine (because both seller and buyer had no knowledge ), that those fakes create some unexpected discussion or doubts on other fakes ..

Few times met people that were (especially in their minds) sure that they have genuine item and even simple discussion was an offend - allthough the only proof of genuity was the opinion given by other blind friend... :doh:

Could it be they only like to bid on fakes and trust this dealer to supply them? Na shill bidding.

Why bid over $250 on a fake? :confus: (not even a very good fake...)

Almost certainly shill bids. The bid-activity of both bidders over the past 30-days is 100% with this seller only.

Hehehe ... look at the second reply I received from this seller after I sent him scans of both the Elmen auction coin and the Brekke supplement illustration of the fake:

"To late to end it, less then 12 h,but i can ask a frind to buy it .

Thank you for your input .

You think this is 100 % fake?

- drutau"

I obviously didn't answer this! :hysterical: He more or less admits that there was shill bidding going on!

As this is clearly visible that this is fake we have 2 possibilities :

1. shill bidding

2. bidders were blind ... less popular sollution but possible (as we consider statistics)

:hysterical:

By the way and taking this "beard tokens" as an example...

Don't you think that it is funny that quite often fakes that received some background story ..

mean someone bought them on auction as genuine (because both seller and buyer had no knowledge ), that those fakes create some unexpected discussion or doubts on other fakes ..

Few times met people that were (especially in their minds) sure that they have genuine item and even simple discussion was an offend - allthough the only proof of genuity was the opinion given by other blind friend... :doh:

Ah, yes: the old adage "the blind leading the blind" comes to mind.

I think that it must be possible to *feel* that this coin is fake, even without seeing it (after all, the eagle is pretty bad, and there is no counterstamp)!

Why bid over $250 on a fake? :confus: (not even a very good fake...)

'They trust this dealer to supply fakes' tis a way of saying this guy cannot be trusted to supply the genuine article ;)

Hence, as we all seem to agree in this case, shill bidding.

It is a salutary reminder to check the bidders on an item on eBay, because, if there is obvious shill bidding, the seller is suspect & so is the merchandise.

Archived