CoinPeople.com

Cultural Heritage Protection Act

bobh

I'm not up-to-date on the current status of which coins are considered "cultural heritage" by the Cultural Heritage Protection Act. In Switzerland, coins 100 years or older are considered items of cultural heritage BUT only fall under the import/export restrictions if they are deemed "important". There are guidelines as to what is considered important, but they unfortunately leave a LOT of room open for (mis)interpretation. For example, a "museum artifact" which is very rare, or possibly unique, is obviously important, but the guidelines include "OR museum-worthy" as an additional criteria (of course, like most of us, I would like to think that most of my coins are probably museum-worthy... :bhyper: ).

Some auction houses have a standard form certifying perhaps that coin X or Y has been in a collection for many years and therefore does not qualify as an item of cultural heritage importance. I have all of my collection now in Switzerland, but at some point would like to possibly import some of it to the USA, where I come from.

Can anyone please point me to some current links with more information about what might be considered unwise to move across the border? Thanks! :art:

The easy answer is, "Don't do it!"

Ancient Coin Collectors Guild has a library of news items, legislation, press releases and more.

Background: World

A series of links to online articles of interest in the world press dealing with cultural property stewardship, or the lack thereof, by institutions and foreign governments.

LegislationA series of links that provide copies of existing, proposed or pending legislation.

Unidroit Codes of Ethics

The ACCG recognizes and supports these published codes of ethics.

Editorials & Articles

BlogsA list of some of the many blogs dealing with ancient coin collecting and cultural property issues.

The easy answer is, "Don't do it!"

Ancient Coin Collectors Guild has a library of news items, legislation, press releases and more.

Background: World

A series of links to online articles of interest in the world press dealing with cultural property stewardship, or the lack thereof, by institutions and foreign governments.

LegislationA series of links that provide copies of existing, proposed or pending legislation.

Unidroit Codes of Ethics

The ACCG recognizes and supports these published codes of ethics.

Editorials & Articles

BlogsA list of some of the many blogs dealing with ancient coin collecting and cultural property issues.

Thanks, Michael -- this kind of info is exactly what I was looking for! :art:

Archived