CoinPeople.com

Please help ID a friend's coin

bobh

I don't collect ancients, but mostly USA and Tsarist Russian coins. A friend of ours, when I mentioned that I collect coins, told us that he bought this one for about $10 several years ago in Italy (Pompeii, I think). I am pretty sure it is a cast fake -- too perfectly round, the patina looks painted on, suspicious edge marks, surface looks kind of "bubbly", etc. The metal looks like bronze. But it would be nice to know what type of original coin might have been the model for this one (unless it is a pure fantasy coin, of course):

unknown_ancient_italy_obv.thumb.jpgunknown_ancient_italy_rev.thumb.jpg

Three different edge pictures:

unknown_ancient_italy_edge1.thumb.jpg

unknown_ancient_italy_edge2.thumb.jpg

unknown_ancient_italy_edge3.thumb.jpg

Weight is 19.3 grams; diameter approx. 34 mm.

Thanks for looking! :art:

But it would be nice to know what type of original coin might have been the model for this one (unless it is a pure fantasy coin, of course).

Based not on a coin, apparently, but copied from a medal. You can read IMP C MANN FLORIANVS, which is enough of a clue.

Florian, who ruled only in the Summer (June – August) of 276, during the Military Anarchy. Half brother to Tacitus, he was killed by his troops -- a common fate -- when they defected to Probus (Wikipedia here).

Medallion 276, billon 39.98 g. IMP C M ANN FLORIANVS P AVG Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust r. Rev. MONETA AVG The three Monetae l., each holding scales and cornucopiae and a conical heap of metal at feet. See here on Coin Archives

Based not on a coin, apparently, but copied from a medal. You can read IMP C MANN FLORIANVS, which is enough of a clue.

Florian, who ruled only in the Summer (June – August) of 276, during the Military Anarchy. Half brother to Tacitus, he was killed by his troops -- a common fate -- when they defected to Probus (Wikipedia here).

Thanks very much, Mike -- very interesting reading material! :art:

Archived