CoinPeople.com

Ohio State Coin Show

ikaros

It's this weekend at the Crowne Plaza in Dublin. I'll be there all day Saturday -- one of the draws this year is a display of a complete collection of Seated Lib dollars. I expect to add nickels while I'm there. :ninja:

You should be watching the game! Good luck to both, though.

Game? Next sporting event on my list is the Ryder Cup in four weeks. And if it's an Ohio State home game, all the more reason to get as far from the campus area as I can! :ninja:

Game? Next sporting event on my list is the Ryder Cup in four weeks. And if it's an Ohio State home game, all the more reason to get as far from the campus area as I can! ;)

Glad to hear that! :ninja:

Whats on your list for the show?

Who's on your list for the Cup?

Glad to hear that! :ninja:

Whats on your list for the show?

Top of the list is probably an uncirculated 1939D Jeff for The Project. I don't think I can justify the out-of-pocket for a really choice BU example, but I can swing an MS-60. Or if there isn't one in the neighborhood of my wallet, maybe a 39S instead. Or fill in the missing '40s and '41s. And of course, I'm always looking for more 1963s for my world birth year set.

Who's on your list for the Cup?

Oh, sure, ask the easy ones. ;)

The big question is whether Pavin makes Tiger a captain's pick or not -- I expect he will, even though Tiger really hasn't been playing like Tiger this year. Going by the stats, he only barely makes the cut -- he's 12th on the points list. Maybe getting passed over could be the kick in the rear he needs to pull his game together.

Anyway, the eight who've made the team on points -- Lefty, Mahan, Watson (Bubba, not Tom), Furyk, Stricker, Dustin Johnson, Overton and Kuchar -- are a heck of a strong group. Overton's made the team without having won on Tour (the first player to make the US team without a win), which says tons about consistency and being able to deliver week after week.

The next four are, in order: Kim, Glover, Zach Johnson, and Tiger. I think Kim is a no-brainer. He really stepped up to the plate in Kentucky in '08. Lurking just past these four are players like Van Pelt, Cink, Fowler, Barnes, Holmes -- even Kenny Perry is within spitting distance. I think tapping Cink makes a lot of sense, because outside of Lefty, Furyk and Stricker, we've got a young and relatively inexperienced team.

The optimal thing would be for Pavin to invite Tiger, and for Tiger to decline. His track record at the Ryder Cup has always been mediocre, even when he's playing at his peak. And I don't know whether Tiger could bring himself to turn it down, even knowing he's not playing well -- he missed the last one because of his knee surgery, and it's a lot to ask him to go six years between Cups -- but it would probably be better for him and better for the team if he gave it a miss.

So, setting Tiger aside, I'd tap Kim, Cink, ZJ and Fowler. If we have to have Tiger, then it depends on how Kim does at the Deutsche Bank. If he does well, drop Fowler. If not, Fowler stays and drop Kim. And for pete's sake, keep Tiger paired with Furyk until the singles on Sunday! There's something about that pairing that works, and they seem to get on well together. Remember their banter on being paired together: Furyk: "Tiger wanted to study my swing up close." Tiger: "Yeah, because I can't figure out how he makes contact."

Where and when is it this year? Ever played a host course?

It's in Wales this year at the Celtic Manor. I haven't played a Ryder Cup course, but I've been on one: Muirfield Village, to watch the practice rounds for the Memorial -- and we're getting the Presidents Cup in 2013! Another Ryder/Major host, Scioto, is even closer, but I haven't been on it yet. And there's OSU Scarlet, which MacKenzie designed around the same time he did Augusta National with Bobby Jones -- which I expect to play next year or the year after, as Evil Twin is an Ohio State alumnus. We will pay around $50 each for the privilege of getting the living snot beaten out of us by a genuine classic. :ninja:

Archived