CoinPeople.com

Can i know which coin is this

surajlal

I recently put this same token on a different forum and here is the response for a person much more knowledgable about these things than me.

Dale

India religious token are often referred to as temple tokens or Rama tankas. The series showing a mosque with colonnade and legend "Madinat Sharif" below, originate mainly from Calcutta (ca. mid 19th cent. to c. 1940). Obv.: Mosque with colonnade in front; central dome with six minarets. Below: Madinat Sharif (Noble city), Rev. Kalima (La Ilaha Ila Allah, Mohammad rasul Allah = There is no God but Allah, Muhammad is the prophet of Allah) in square. Around the central part are the first four Sunni Caliphs, Abu Bakr (top), Ushman (left), Umar (below) Ali (right). The religious tokens usually don’t bear a date and when they are dated, it’s mostly a fantasy date. In the case of the present token it may be made in the second half of the 19th century and are made of brass or sometimes of brass silver washed. For a good reference, consult: Michael Mitchiner, Indian Tokens: Popular Religious & Secular Art from the ancient period to the present day (London 1998), page. 120.

Archived