CoinPeople.com

Denier misattributed to Charlemagne

Carloman879

Peus Auktion 400 has lot 1099 identified as a denier of Karl der Grosse (Charlemagne), Morrison/Grunthal 172. The reverse legend has METxVLLO. This feature relegates the coin to the reign of Charles the Bald and later (see Morrison/Grunthal 1064). Six days ago I sent an email to Peus expressing my concern.

So far they have not responded or changed their attribution. The difference in value is significant, and I hope that some collector isn't burned by paying way too much for the coin.

Carloman879

Currently, there are two examples of this type on French ebay, each with the title, "CHARLEMAGNE - Denier de Melle - Qualite!" In each instance, the finer print goes on to give the qualification, "Charlemagne ou Charles II le Chauve."

The scholarship establishing the METxVLLO variant as being of Charles II or later appears to be recent. It certainly goes sailing over my head --other than what I've seen online, versus in print. Roberts, The Silver Coins of Medieval France (the best reference in English) is of no help. Varieties of Melle (Roberts #1012, attributed to Charlemagne, and 1257, attr. to Charles II /the Bald) are entirely different. Roberts' listings of this issue (#1271-87) inexplicably neglect Melle, one of the commonest mints for Charles the Bald. Generally, his later variety, with the 'GRATIA D_I" legend (issued from 864) is better known... allowing for this measure of ambiguity regarding what are, according to the best and most current numismatic consensus, issues of Charles the Bald.

Caveat emptor!

quote name='Carloman879' date='Apr 10 2010, 07:33 PM' post='492454']

Peus Auktion 400 has lot 1099 identified as a denier of Karl der Grosse (Charlemagne), Morrison/Grunthal 172. The reverse legend has METxVLLO. This feature relegates the coin to the reign of Charles the Bald and later (see Morrison/Grunthal 1064). Six days ago I sent an email to Peus expressing my concern.

So far they have not responded or changed their attribution. The difference in value is significant, and I hope that some collector isn't burned by paying way too much for the coin.

Carloman879

• 4 weeks later...

A staff member of Peus finally responded to me stating that I am correct, the coin is of Charles the Bald and not of

Charlemagne. As far as I can tell the on-line description at Sixbid was never corrected but no harm was done as the

coin remained unsold.

Carloman 879

Currently, there are two examples of this type on French ebay, each with the title, "CHARLEMAGNE - Denier de Melle - Qualite!" In each instance, the finer print goes on to give the qualification, "Charlemagne ou Charles II le Chauve."

The scholarship establishing the METxVLLO variant as being of Charles II or later appears to be recent. It certainly goes sailing over my head --other than what I've seen online, versus in print. Roberts, The Silver Coins of Medieval France (the best reference in English) is of no help. Varieties of Melle (Roberts #1012, attributed to Charlemagne, and 1257, attr. to Charles II /the Bald) are entirely different. Roberts' listings of this issue (#1271-87) inexplicably neglect Melle, one of the commonest mints for Charles the Bald. Generally, his later variety, with the 'GRATIA D_I" legend (issued from 864) is better known... allowing for this measure of ambiguity regarding what are, according to the best and most current numismatic consensus, issues of Charles the Bald.

Caveat emptor!

quote name='Carloman879' date='Apr 10 2010, 07:33 PM' post='492454']

Carloman879

Archived