CoinPeople.com

I think this is a minting error... Help please...

OK... I found a penny that looks like it has a severe minting error, and need some info. It looks like the edges curled over on themselves during minting and were stamped flat against the coin. It's much smaller than a normal penny and has next to no detail in the images on it; it also has a weird lamination effect going on around the edge, where it looks like the rim was folded (all the way around) and stamped into both sides... I have pics, but they are low res, until I get my better camera up and running again... Hope y'all can help.

Photoon2010-04-10at1311.jpg

Photoon2010-04-10at1310.jpg

Pictures are too blurred, but its not a minting error. Its been rolled in a milling machine or its been reduced in an electrical chamber. Can't tell from the pictures.

Want to SHRINK your own coins?

I think its similar to a "spooned" coin. It's post-mint damage that is caused by endlessly tapping a spoon or other hard object around the coin for a very long time. I've been told sailors used to do this on long voyages. Anyway it could also have been accomplished by an industrial dryer spinning and banging the coin for many hours. I have a few, they are kinda neat looking.

Thanks for the replies... I may tend to lean towards the industrial dryer idea... All the facial detail is missing... Almost as if it had been melted away... Everything is extremely smooth and round... Wish I could find the cable for my good camera, so I could post a better pic. But... Your ideas seem likely.

Archived