CoinPeople.com

George Frederic Handel Medal 1859

IMG_2873.jpg

IMG_2874.jpg

George Frederick Handel(1685-1759) Centenary Commemoration, Crystal Palace Medal 1859.

Bust of Handel, I., wearing cap, shirt with open collar, coat, and mantle. Leg. GEORGE FREDERIC HANDEL. On truncation, W.J.TAYLOR.LONDON.

Rev. Within a wreath of palm and olive, CENTENARY COMMEMORATION—--CRYSTAL PALACE MDCCCLIX.

Edge engraved F. WELLS. PERFORMER.

Bronze 51mm by William Joseph Taylor (1802-85). The bust was based on the statue of Handel from Vauxhall Gardens.

The Great Handel Commemoration of 1859 held at the Crystal Palace was a monumental event to celebrate the centenary of the death of the mighty Handel. Over 460 orchestral players, 2,765 choristers and 81,260 ticket holders attended this three-day festival, at which was performed the Messiah and Israel in Egypt. The conductor, Sir Michael Costa, was one of the driving forces behind the Commemoration festival, organizing the auditioning and transporting of musicians from far and wide.

So F.Wells was either a musician or a chorister in that great event.

Cool medal, Constanius, especially with the engraved edge.

William John Taylor, of 33 Little Queen St., Holborn, also engraved the "Kings of England" white metal piece I posted in Exonumia a while back --the one listing Anglo-Saxon kings on one side and post-Conquest kings on the other, up to Victoria.

William John Taylor, of 33 Little Queen St., Holborn, also engraved the "Kings of England" white metal piece I posted in Exonumia a while back --the one listing Anglo-Saxon kings on one side and post-Conquest kings on the other, up to Victoria.

I remember it well, one that I would like to own.

Archived