CoinPeople.com

Genuine Sestertius?

Jaime Salgado

Tiberius

The first is a fake combining the obverse portrait type commonly found on smaller denominations of Tiberius (14-37 AD) with the obverse of his sestertius type honoring Asian cities but properly found with a reverse with legend surrounding a huge SC as shown on the coins in the above link.

The second is a sestertius of Domitian which is commonly faked but this one looks better than the fakes I was able to find in the references so I won't go so far as to condemn it as certainly bad. Such things are hard to tell from photos. The coin should be shown to an expert to determine if it is ancient, modern or possibly even a Renaissance copy (my first guess). The reverse honors Jupiter the Victor.

Domitian Iovi

There is a ground rule with coins that states the fakes tend to hang around together. My expertise is not sufficient to state the Domitian is certainly good or bad without further research but a four digit $ value coin being presented alongside a certain fake makes it extremely suspicious.

Tiberius

The first is a fake combining the obverse portrait type commonly found on smaller denominations of Tiberius (14-37 AD) with the obverse of his sestertius type honoring Asian cities but properly found with a reverse with legend surrounding a huge SC as shown on the coins in the above link.

The second is a sestertius of Domitian which is commonly faked but this one looks better than the fakes I was able to find in the references so I won't go so far as to condemn it as certainly bad. Such things are hard to tell from photos. The coin should be shown to an expert to determine if it is ancient, modern or possibly even a Renaissance copy (my first guess). The reverse honors Jupiter the Victor.

Domitian Iovi

There is a ground rule with coins that states the fakes tend to hang around together. My expertise is not sufficient to state the Domitian is certainly good or bad without further research but a four digit $ value coin being presented alongside a certain fake makes it extremely suspicious.

Hello dougsmit

Many thanks for your perfect explanation

jsalgado

• 1 month later...

Archived