CoinPeople.com

Last Roubles of the Soviet Union

Rhino

So I recently picked up a lot of Soviet Rouble notes, denominations 1 to 1000 from 1991 , and was very content that I have the final series of notes released by the Soviet Union before its collapse. But then.... I noticed that one of the notes, the 500 Rouble note, had a year of 1992 ;)

So does that mean that in addition to the 1991 series, there is also a whole other series of 1992 notes out there that are the true last series?

:ninja: And I thought I was finished...

Any input by other Soviet note collectors is welcome!!

Yes, there is a 1992 issue with a bust of Lenin on them as well, but issued under the Russian Federation instead of the state bank of the USSR. Look in the watermark area for changes like the Date Placement and Guilloche Placement to help see differences. Issues were 50, 200, 500 and 1000 Rubles.

More were issued in 1992, but without Lenin's image: a 1992 10,000 Ruble note issued but it was a government privatisation check, and then there was a 1992 5,000 and 10,000 Ruble issued by the Bank of Russia.

Hope that helps!

Yes, there is a 1992 issue with a bust of Lenin on them as well, but issued under the Russian Federation instead of the state bank of the USSR. Look in the watermark area for changes like the Date Placement and Guilloche Placement to help see differences. Issues were 50, 200, 500 and 1000 Rubles.

More were issued in 1992, but without Lenin's image: a 1992 10,000 Ruble note issued but it was a government privatisation check, and then there was a 1992 5,000 and 10,000 Ruble issued by the Bank of Russia.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the clarification, Dave. I just looked up images of a 1991 500 Rouble note, and I see what you mean...the year is on the other side, and the 1992 has the added design on one side while 1991 has a blank space there...

Back to hunting down Soviet Roubles then :ninja:

Archived