CoinPeople.com

Question about Using the Bitkin Book

Rhino

Hey guys, sorry if this question is going to sound like a true amateur, I'm just starting out:

I have the 2003 Bitkin catalog, and I recently got a 50 Koepks 1897 (the edge has 1 star, I believe that's the Paris mint). Now, the catalog lists the 50 kopek 1897 coin 3 times, with 2 of them having a circle with a 4 inside it while the 3rd has a 0. Now, those 2 that have identical details (both have a star, circle witha 4, 1897) the values of the coin differ tremendously. Why is that? I mean what are the small variations between these two listed coins, both apparently identical? I paid $20 for this coin (condition was impressive, so I doubt I overpaid by a lot?), so I know I don't have the rare one, but I'm still curious what the difference is for future occassions.... Thanks!

kopeks.jpg

Hey guys, sorry if this question is going to sound like a true amateur, I'm just starting out:

I have the 2003 Bitkin catalog, and I recently got a 50 Koepks 1897 (the edge has 1 star, I believe that's the Paris mint). Now, the catalog lists the 50 kopek 1897 coin 3 times, with 2 of them having a circle with a 4 inside it while the 3rd has a 0. Now, those 2 that have identical details (both have a star, circle witha 4, 1897) the values of the coin differ tremendously. Why is that? I mean what are the small variations between these two listed coins, both apparently identical? I paid $20 for this coin (condition was impressive, so I doubt I overpaid by a lot?), so I know I don't have the rare one, but I'm still curious what the difference is for future occassions.... Thanks!

The 4 in the circle refers to the type of edge inscription which is illustrated at the top of the page (p. 943). The 0 in the circle means that there is just a plain edge with no inscription, and that is a very rare variety. The other rare variety is with 180° die rotation (normal die orientation is medallic, i.e. the obverse and reverse designs are oriented in the same direction).

The 4 in the circle refers to the type of edge inscription which is illustrated at the top of the page (p. 943). The 0 in the circle means that there is just a plain edge with no inscription, and that is a very rare variety. The other rare variety is with 180° die rotation (normal die orientation is medallic, i.e. the obverse and reverse designs are oriented in the same direction).

So the "R2" one in the catalog with the "соосность" in the comments box is the variety with the 180 die rotation? Should I assume that for the other boxes for the other coins as well? I see some of them have letterand number combinations that I believe indicate auctions in the past...

Sorry, I'm just starting out and my Russian reading level is maybe that of an elementary school student :ninja:

So the "R2" one in the catalog with the "соосность" in the comments box is the variety with the 180 die rotation? Should I assume that for the other boxes for the other coins as well? I see some of them have letterand number combinations that I believe indicate auctions in the past...

Sorry, I'm just starting out and my Russian reading level is maybe that of an elementary school student :ninja:

Hello Rhino,

Welcome to the forum. ;)

It certainly helps if you know the language, but it is not essential. There is a growing body of original and translated (into English) works available for those of us whose first language is English rather than Russian.

I recommend that you take a look at the remarks in the introduction in the first volume, especially pp. XII-XVI, which I think will prove helpful in understanding the symbols and meanings used in the book. ;)

Archived