CoinPeople.com

1814 Le prince de Blücher, Prussia

972543.jpg

22mm - Details - probably R+

Bramsen - 1503 variant

This is one of those oddities where the error was listed and the correction, in this case the reverse legend, was not. Here's the listed version:

902405.jpg

22mm - Details - R in my experience

Bramsen - 1503

Because the Roman alphabet was only 23 letters (they had no J U or W) where we use J or U now, then they used I or V. The changing of the alphabet to 26 letters was a slow and irregular process. What is interesting about these jetons is the use of 'U' (as in FURST & BLUCHER) but not the 'J' in 'IETTONS' Which makes the inscriptions a 24/26 hybrid or a 25 letter alphabet inscription.

Medallists & others still like to use the 23/24 letter alphabet for inscriptions to give a 'classical look' to their work.

The W we now use is really a 'double V' but in its sound of 'U' hence we say 'double U' not 'double V'

I guess this might be reflected in the way Wolfgang and Wilhelm are pronounced in english versus the german pronunciation.

Sorry if I am rambling. Nice to have a variant of a R.

Actually I like the point you make. The period we collect (though you range wider than I) was still fluid in such things as the composition of the alphabet. Early in the 1790s for instance it's not unusual to find a lowercase "s" that looks like an elongated letter "f" (somewhat like ƒ ) in print at least. Not sure when it died out in common use but the English in particular used it.

. Early in the 1790s for instance it's not unusual to find a lowercase "s" that looks like an elongated letter "f" (somewhat like ƒ ) in print at least.

That is called an Eth, it looks a lower-case f but missing the cross limb to the right of the upstroke. From the Bible "He leadeth me" instead of "He leads me" is an example of its use, as is "He restoreth me" & the symbol for Eth is used instead of an s in words.

The study of language &(ampersand) writing is a worthwhile pursuit in its self, now we have @ which has surprisingly been around a very long time, since at least;

"May 4, 1536, Francesco Lapi—a Florentine merchant who at the time was in Seville, Spain—used the symbol @ in a letter, the first ever known instance of a document containing it" though it did not mean 'at' then.

Plus now we have Emoticons!!!

Please excuse me, I have been called to the Headmaster's Office. Just ;) chapter 4 whilst I am absent & NO talking :ninja:

LINK FOR HOMEWORK

Archived