CoinPeople.com

1814 The Rebirth of Europe, Prussia / Austria

1814 The Rebirth of Europe, Prussia / Austria

972163.jpg

25.5mm - Details - probably extremely rare

A fascinating piece that defies classification. It isn't in any of the standard references, it was cast instead of struck, it employs a Phœnix AND Egyptian symbols and is clearly, at least to this long-time collector, contemporary to 1814. I'm guessing that it was produced about the time of the opening of the Congress of Vienna and may have been commissioned by one of the hundreds of princelings running about hoping to regain their former holdings. I would guess it dates early since it wasn't too long before the optimism expressed here turned to talk of war between former Allies. The issue was how all the goodies were going to get dished out; the princelings were out of luck.

Napoleon was barely on Elba before his former opponents were working at making the Hundred Days possible. I've never seen another example anywhere and yet it makes no sense as a postwar production.

Does anyone know anything about this piece?

Intriguing, the rebirth of Europe (1814) is juxtaposed with the image of Egypt and the abandoned fasces, left after the French defeat (1801) by the British and Turkish forces. The rising sun, like the phoenix signifying a new begin. Both victories were accomplished by anti-french allies working together to defeat a common enemy.

"Association brings victory and peace."

For what it is worth, I agree with your reasoning as to when it was cast.

Archived