CoinPeople.com

P-40 a to c, description clarification.

KevDownUnderInOz

Hello folks, I would to bring your attention to a possibly familiar banknote that perhaps a lot of you have taken gospel as truth.

The Malaysian 2 Ringgit banknote that displays the communications tower and a spacecraft.

Well, if you're not in 'space', you probably will never know, but I have noticed that there is a problem for me with this banknote.

I have begun to make changes on Wikipedia regarding any banknote related articles and articles that could be made to include banknotes or something that has a banknote relating to it.

I recently made a change to the entry for the Indian satellite Aryabhata to include information relating to the banknote commemorating it for many, many years.

Indian Rs 2 (2 Indian Rupees)

I would like you to read my reasoning for the thinking that the image on the 2 Ringgit banknote is pure fiction.

This SNIP is from Wiki a few minutes ago.

SNIP

One regarding erroneous reports of the spacecraft image on the 2 Ringgit banknote from Malaysia. Which I have as yet not opened my mouth about. It has been described as the Pioneer spacecraft, which it most closely resembles, I have also seen it described as the Malaysian MEASAT communications spacecraft, which it is not.

First point on that, Earth orbital satellites carry solar cells. The spacecraft on the image does not. It has RTG's. These are deep space probe power cells, which Voyager, Pioneer, New Horizons carry. The fact that if you look closely at the image on the banknote, the spacecraft has 3 RTG's instead of 2, relegates this image as pure banknote engravers free license. In other words, the spacecraft on the Malaysian 2 ringgit banknote is purely ficticious. It does not exist in reality, it was never built.

It does however most closely resemble the Pioneer craft, which may have been the intention.

If it was the intention of the engraver to represent the pioneer spacecraft, then, they have made a gross error.

The Pioneer spacecraft posses only 2 RTG's and one instrument boom.

RTG's always have vanes on them, which all three booms on the banknote image display.

SNIP

If it were a Pioneer 10 or 11 it would have 2 RTG's and 1 instrument boom.

2RinggitMalaySpacecraftCloseUp.JPG

Your thoughts on this?

Archived