CoinPeople.com

193? "S" Penny

tularetokens

• 3 weeks later...

What is odd about that is it just appears to be damage, not an attempt to change a date. I remember when I was a kid and we did things like that to make dates from other dates. Like the 1944 D to a 1914 D. But nothing as poor as that even for us kids. That one looks like someone purposely damaged the last number. Sure hope it really washn't a 1.

I see a 7. Do you think this was a practice coin for a counterfeiter? Perhaps this was the "base" coin, they removed the 7 to make room for a 1 lifted from another coin.

Carl, How did you guys alter coins? I can't imagine whacking it with a chisel avoids damage.

I see a 7. Do you think this was a practice coin for a counterfeiter? Perhaps this was the "base" coin, they removed the 7 to make room for a 1 lifted from another coin.

Carl, How did you guys alter coins? I can't imagine whacking it with a chisel avoids damage.

Lots of things we used to do as kids to alter coins. One of the most common ones was the use of an electric eraser and an eraser shield. That was for changing a 1944D Cent to a 1914D. Also, placing wax around the rest of the date, adding a drop of H2SO4 onto an area of a cent would also sllightly remove something. This would leave a bluish discoloration which was also removed with baking soda and water solution. Error coins such as a tilted 1 was made by removing part of a 7 with the eraser. Laying a Cent on an Anvil, another one of top of that and hitting just right with a hammer would imprint Lincoln's face on the reverse of another one.

As kids we tried almost anything for fun I guess and we really were pretty good at it.

Lots of things we used to do as kids to alter coins. One of the most common ones was the use of an electric eraser and an eraser shield. That was for changing a 1944D Cent to a 1914D. Also, placing wax around the rest of the date, adding a drop of H2SO4 onto an area of a cent would also sllightly remove something. This would leave a bluish discoloration which was also removed with baking soda and water solution. Error coins such as a tilted 1 was made by removing part of a 7 with the eraser. Laying a Cent on an Anvil, another one of top of that and hitting just right with a hammer would imprint Lincoln's face on the reverse of another one.

As kids we tried almost anything for fun I guess and we really were pretty good at it.

Too bad you don't have anything of your masterpieces to showcase!

Too bad you don't have anything of your masterpieces to showcase!

That is something I've always wished I had kept some. I recently bumped into someone from the good old days that used to help me do those things and he too said we should have kept some of them. he said, not sure, but might have some somewhere. Hopefully he'll find one or two.

Naturally kids don't have a lot of money so after demolition tacktics they were put back into circulation.

That is something I've always wished I had kept some. I recently bumped into someone from the good old days that used to help me do those things and he too said we should have kept some of them. he said, not sure, but might have some somewhere. Hopefully he'll find one or two.

Naturally kids don't have a lot of money so after demolition tacktics they were put back into circulation.

Maybe this is one of your coins from the old days Carl. I'll sell it to you real cheap ;):ninja:;)

Tim

Archived