CoinPeople.com

How to represent a cave?

I'm interested in how artists represent three dimensional spaces in two dimensions. The problem was solved long ago on paper (or canvas). Medallic artists on the other hand have a slightly different task in front of them since their "canvas" is general bound by the round format and they have some relief to work with. The principles are the same, but the format presents its own challenges. Architecture is well mastered and there are drop dead gorgeous examples of the representation of the insides of cathedrals that capture the feeling of the enclosed space and soaring ceilings.

Caves are a different creature once again. Some a small and round like lava tubes. Others are enormous caverns, so large that one might not be able to see or feel the full extent of the space. Many caves are filled with natural, fantastic formations. I'm posting two different pieces here, each with a representation of a cave. I'll share my own impression, maybe you'll have a different reaction. Maybe you'll have better examples of the representation of a cave to share.

The first is an aluminum souvenir medal from Mmammoth Cave in Kentucky. I'm guessing it dates to about 1970.

968929.jpg

The obverse shows a scene looking out from an undefined point in space looking out of the mouth of the cave. The steps leading down into the cave are shown. I'm assuming the view is meant to represent the vastness of the cavern in comparison to the opening in the distance. Its not a bad representation given that it is a mass produced souvenir, struck in aluminum. But, it doesn't quite work for me. The reverse shows the insides of a chamber and the outline map of Kentucky is sunk into the relief work to show the cave is indeed in Kentucky. The cave formations are dramatic and are what attract a large number of visitors. Their beauty is lost in this rendition, although the visitor would certainly know what the image is meant to represent.

The second example is a much smaller piece of notgeld from (I could say I'm guessing, but I'll accept the date on the piece) from 1919.

968930.jpg

I became aware of this design when Tiffbunny posted one on this forumn a few years back. I finally tracked down my own copy. The piece does not show the inside of the cave, it only shows the entrance. However, this piece says cave to me in stronger terms that the Mammoth piece. The skeleton of the cave bear coupled with the cave entrance conveys the mystery of the ancient natural passage into the earth. The use of the skeletal element recalls images and sights that convey the emotion of cave along with the relief of the opening. Even though it is smaller and shows far less of the inside of a cave, it does a better job for me than the first example.

The second example is a much smaller piece of notgeld from (I could say I'm guessing, but I'll accept the date on the piece) from 1919.

968930.jpg

Twice in one day I have to ask you about the date. You say you have to accept the date as 1919, but the other side is dated 1920?

Quick google shows it listed on the same site under 1919 & 1920 :ninja:

The Reckenhöhle was named after its discoverer and owner Franz Recke.

During excavations in the cave a cave bear and mammoth teeth were found, which are on display in the Heimatmuseum Menden.

spring 1888 discovered by Franz Recke.

16-AUG-1890 first guided tours.

1924 excvation of the passages completed.

I wonder if the cave bear was discovered in 1919 or perhaps put on display in the Heimatmuseum Menden in 1919 & the 1920 notgeld just commemorates the event of the preceding year.

I do agree with your opinion regarding the representation of a cave.

You say you have to accept the date as 1919, but the other side is dated 1920?

Hence the comment. No date, you have to guess. Two dates, doesn't always help that much.......... :ninja:

Archived