CoinPeople.com

Canadian Medal Trial strike 1860

constanius

IMG_2554.jpgIMG_2555.jpg

IMG_2552.jpg

As you can see, this was a trial strike for the central part of the 2 medals portrayed in 'The Canadian Coin Cabinet' by Joseph LeRoux. Probably sent from England to Canada in 1859 for approval before the medals were struck. There are many differences between the trial piece and the finished medal. The man is shown dressed in classical garb on the trial but looks contemporarily dressed for 1860's. Likewise the vase is handled, then not. The hammer is resting on the ground, then on the anvil. The last word on the banner(ARTES) is to the side, then central etc.

I have never seen a trial strike of a portion of a medal before, it is 48mm X 6mm(very thick planchet) the finished medal with the large border and inscription only 40mm (size 24 in the text is 24 1/16ths of an inch)

These 2 medals were engraved for the society by J. S. Wyon, the one for the Prince of Wales visit 1860 had a special reverse. The other medal was awarded at the regular exhibitions of the society. Both used the same obverse.

Joseph Shepherd Wyon (1836-1873) so he was only 23 or 24 when he produced this medal.

I seem to be a magnet(not a chick magnet) for trial strikes. I purchased it from a Canadian medal dealer at the Torex show last weekend in Toronto. When I asked him if he had any info on the piece he replied "it's a trial strike" well I think I knew that! Had to do some research to identify it as no date, missing the main inscription, the latin legend worn etc but seeing as he had no idea what it was I only paid $25 canadian for it.

Historically it is priceless, very unusual, early canadian/english trial strike of just part of a very rare medal(rarity 5), with major changes to follow before production.

Archived