CoinPeople.com

Two 1 rouble 1898 coins at Kuenker 157

altyn

The portraits on the obverse of each coin are clearly different. Yet neither Bitkin, not Kazakov mention two types of dies for this year. This difference obviously should not be the consequence of the first coin being made with a polished planchet while the second being business strike, nor SPB mint vs. Paris or Brussels (if made by different mints). What do I miss?

The portraits on the obverse of each coin are clearly different. Yet neither Bitkin, not Kazakov mention two types of dies for this year. This difference obviously should not be the consequence of the first coin being made with a polished planchet while the second being business strike, nor SPB mint vs. Paris or Brussels (if made by different mints). What do I miss?

I don't have my Kazakov handy, but the obverse dies were different between SPB and Brussels/Paris. With the Nicholas II 50 kopeck pieces, the most noticeable difference is the thickness of the rim.

Kazakov's pictures are very good. If you have that book, look closely at the differences between the Paris/Brussels issues and the SPB ones. There are such differences.

Kazakov's pictures are very good. If you have that book, look closely at the differences between the Paris/Brussels issues and the SPB ones. There are such differences.

...hm...the Paris portrait seemed a bit closer to that of lot 6827 but not does not exactly match in my opinion. The nose shape in lot 6827 portrait is somewhat different. And it is not the Brussels type (which I have).

yes, portraits are different, like diffrent haircut was performed :ninja:

The first coin (Künker 6847) looks like the obverse used for the Paris mint (Bitkin 195). I just noticed that 6847 is a proof, so I compared it with images from the NGSA auction of last year (lot 1205, advertised as Bitkin 43). And that coin matches Künker 6848. However, proofs were struck at all three mints in 1898 (SPB, Paris and Brussels).

Looking at Kazakov, the images do seem a bit different between Paris and SPB -- however, for some reason the coins he used for those dates apparently had some circulation wear, so it is hard to tell.

Can anybody please post a high quality image of a 1898 Paris mint 1 rouble coin in XF or above? I could find a plenty of SPB and Brussels 1898 roubles on CoinArchives but not Paris.

Can anybody please post a high quality image of a 1898 Paris mint 1 rouble coin in XF or above? I could find a plenty of SPB and Brussels 1898 roubles on CoinArchives but not Paris.

try adacoins.ru if tthey ahve it auction by auction since MiM does not :ninja:

The first coin (Künker 6847) looks like the obverse used for the Paris mint (Bitkin 195). I just noticed that 6847 is a proof, so I compared it with images from the NGSA auction of last year (lot 1205, advertised as Bitkin 43). And that coin matches Künker 6848. However, proofs were struck at all three mints in 1898 (SPB, Paris and Brussels).

Looking at Kazakov, the images do seem a bit different between Paris and SPB -- however, for some reason the coins he used for those dates apparently had some circulation wear, so it is hard to tell.

I am still unable to match the left portrait (Kuenker lot 6827, supposedly Bitkin 43 as well) to any other 1 rouble coin of that period regardless of the mint. I find this situation puzzling. There might be better match to other portraits, e.g. the Paris type, and even 25 ruble 1895 from the same NGSA auction (lot 1191), and curiously the diameters of 1 rouble (33.65 mm) and 25 ruble (33.5.mm) coins are close, but still these do not look exactly the same, as far as one can tell by such images.

Archived