CoinPeople.com

50 kopeck 1914

altyn

These days one has to doubt everything... So, here is a 1914 50-kopeck coin I just bought on ebay. I would appreciate hearing the forum members' opinions about this coin (authenticity and condition). It was listed as UNC which was doubtful from the very start but the original image suggested that it might be at least XF, and so I bid. Here are the photos I made.

Does it qualify for AU?

These days one has to doubt everything... So, here is a 1914 50-kopeck coin I just bought on ebay. I would appreciate hearing the forum members' opinions about this coin (authenticity and condition). It was listed as UNC which was doubtful from the very start but the original image suggested that it might be at least XF, and so I bid. Here are the photos I made.

Does it qualify for AU?

Genuine piece; Nicholas bust side has too many scratches and damages which may not qualify this one for high grading or grading at all; other side can be AU or higher; see M&M pic below:

http://www.numismat.ru/cgi-bin2/cat_view.cgi?id=5101

:ninja:;)

Does it qualify for AU?

[images snipped]

It's genuine ... of the narrow rim, flat strike variety (Kazakov 462) which is slightly less common than the wide rim, embossed type (cf. my avatar).

Hard to say about XF or AU ... I think we all agree that UNC it is not. :ninja: But AU should have less rub on the reverse crowns, IMHO ... and it has a few rim dings which might also keep it out of the AU range. High-end XF, IMHO. But you might find some TPG graders who would say AU.

Archived