CoinPeople.com

1791 Louis XVI, France

1791 Louis XVI, France

964703.jpg

Hennin 242 var. - Details - 24mm

Most of the "standard" references for the French Revolution and First Empire medals date prior to 1928. The French Revolution numismatic "bible", Hennin, was printed in Paris in 1826 and is comprised of 927 entries. Hennin mentions often that variants exist and usually doesn't bother to make a separate entry unless a significant difference is present. At least that's what he says. But he's inconsistent at best and for those of us who live in the world of the internet(s) it is becoming more common to find significant variants that either Hennin didn't consider as such or ones that simply escaped his attention.

This may be one such piece. The closest I can classify it is Hennin 242 which, if you click on the details link above you'll see looks almost entirely different except for the subject matter of each side. Personally I think this may have been a hastily tossed off job produced in 1793 either immediately before the King's execution or just after. The bust style is very similar to the 1793 "death" busts as opposed to the 1791 Reich-style busts. That Reich-style bust is also a Hennin 242 which shows just how far I'm reaching here.

I *think* the spelling of "Fransais" is incorrect here. I read French, I can't write or speak it (if we ever meet I'll tell you about Canadian cereal boxes in the 1960s). Even if that isn't the case the dies are obviously badly cut. The "N" on IETTON is jammed in like a kid realizing that their report has a problem just before it gets turned in. The reverse is crude at best though proudly signed by Lauer!

ger-jeton-3.jpg

GERMANY, 24mm brass jeton, bust L, LOUIS XVIII ROI DES FRANSAIS, IETTON / equestrian monument L, OPTIMO PRINCIPI, IETTON. A typically French type of the late 18th century. The German "IETTON" on both sides reveals its origin. XF $26.00

The same obverse. LINK

Archived