CoinPeople.com

Bought a coin spur of the moment, but doubts

mukoh

Not my type, just thought would buy it. Upon receipt have somewhat of doubt, it just looks too clean. Can anyone advise if it is real?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=300301078934

As you know, it's impossible to judge with 100% certainty that a coin is genuine just by the pictures (and lousy ones in the auction, at that). While it is sometimes possible to tell if a coin is a fake by deviations from known designs, there is nothing about this coin that says "fake" to me. Cleaned? That is something you also cannot always tell from pictures.

Looks like it might be a nice AU, possibly MS-62 or even 63. But check the edge ... does the edge lettering look clean and consistent with known genuine coins? Do you see the correct mintmaster initials? (should be (B.C) or (Э.Б) there). If it is ЭБ, you are in luck!

Also, check the weight ... should be very close to 10 grams, maybe less than 0.05 gram difference either way. Anything more than that is somewhat suspect to me for this later-date silver.

All just IMHO, of course... ("Saint" Nicholas, indeed! :ninja: He was no saint, that's for sure.)

Archived